Solar Panel Cost Guide in Evanston, IL (Feb 2023)
- Evanston Solar Installation Cost: $12,211
- 25-Year Savings: $10,400
- Payback Period: 13.5 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Evanston
Trying to put up solar panels yourself can be a time-consuming project, which is why getting a solar installation company is a good option for many homeowners. Solar companies offer key benefits that can help you get the most out of your investment, like warranties, monitoring and free repairs.
If you'd like to switch to solar energy but still aren't sure which solar system installer to go with, here are our suggestions for providers nearby:
See all of the solar companies in Evanston
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Evanston
Cost is often one of the most important factors for homeowners who are considering investing in solar. There are a few major factors that determine your overall cost in Evanston: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll go over each of these briefly below.
When it comes to estimating the cost of solar panels in Evanston, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are primarily based on your home's energy consumption, which you can figure out by looking at past electricity bills. Your total cost can increase by around $2,730 for each additional kilowatt you need. The model of solar panels and equipment you get is another factor that will substantially impact costs. Solar panels that are more efficient, like monocrystalline panels, tend to be more costly. Moreover, solar equipment goes beyond just the solar panels themselves. You'll also need to consider the kind of racks used to mount the panels, inverters, solar batteries, etc. It's important to take all of this into consideration when looking into a solar system that falls within your budget.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar installers in Evanston offer solar loans, which reduce the initial cost of installing solar panels. However, the interest on solar loans also increases your all-in costs, so it's crucial to include that in your estimate as well. You can always lower the total you pay in interest and sometimes even your APR by making a larger down payment.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The last significant cost factor you should consider is the installer you choose. Given the booming popularity of renewable energy solutions in Evanston, you'll have lots of options to choose from, but each comes at various price points for labor and equipment. Companies that only sell products with high efficiency and therefore a higher price point — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come at a higher cost. It's best to do some research and choose a company that provides the products, warranties and services you want and also is within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$9,307||14.0 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$12,715||13.8 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$16,276||13.5 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$19,990||13.2 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$23,856||13.0 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$27,876||12.7 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$32,048||12.4 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$36,374||12.2 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
Since the kind of solar panels and the installation company you choose has an impact on your costs and your system's efficiency, production, and durability, it's important to pick the right ones for you. Here are some things to keep in mind to help with your decision:
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar company, make sure you read it through carefully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're not sure about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and what services you can expect from them.
- Installation Process: Get detailed information from your solar installer about the installation process and what to expect, including when the site survey will be done and what the project timeline is.
- Reputation: Long-standing companies likely have a solid reputation. This is important because it ensures that it will not only see your solar installation through, but will also provide quality aftercare and customer support, such as part repairs and replacements.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and type has varying levels of quality, durability and energy efficiency. They will come at different prices as well. The company you choose affects which solar panel brands you have access to.
EcoWatch's Evanston, IL Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.