Solar Panel Cost Guide in Cincinnati, IL (Jan 2023)
- Cincinnati Solar Installation Cost: $12,154
- 25-Year Savings: $11,049
- Payback Period: 13.1 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Cincinnati
Many homeowners choose to use a solar installer since trying to install solar panels yourself can be challenging. A solar installer can also help save you money over time by offering warranties, repairs and part replacements.
If you'd like to start using solar energy but still aren't sure which solar panel installer to go with, here are our suggestions for providers in Cincinnati:
See all of the solar companies in Cincinnati
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Cincinnati
There are several factors that can play into your total installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar panels.
The size of the solar energy system you need to offset your energy usage, which is measured in kilowatts, is the most important cost factor to consider. For every additional kilowatt you need, you can expect your total to increase by nearly $2,730. The type of solar equipment you choose can increase or decrease your cost by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you get the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. However, higher efficiency could save you more over time on your power bills. Additionally, extra products, like solar batteries, can bump up your total well above the Cincinnati average.
Solar Financing Terms
Many homeowners find the average cost of solar in Cincinnati to be prohibitively steep, even if the investment pays off over time. Thankfully, almost every solar installer in the area provides access to financing options. Solar loans substantially decrease upfront costs for most homeowners, but they also lead to paying more over time due to interest. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of loans, including the total interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you're only able to get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars above the equipment and labor cost. Making a larger down payment or securing a solar loan with a low APR could reduce your costs significantly.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Finally, the company you get to install your solar panel system can affect your pricing. Cincinnati's solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. Larger national companies usually have lower costs, but some local companies keep up with them by promoting sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have access to specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or additional services like electric car charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$9,952||13.6 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$13,576||13.4 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$17,352||13.1 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$21,281||12.8 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$25,363||12.6 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$29,598||12.3 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$33,985||12.1 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$38,526||11.8 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are many companies to choose from in Cincinnati, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Selecting the right company for you can be tough, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a sound reputation as a company and have proven expertise in the field. Two ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has positive reviews from past customers.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and type has varying levels of quality, longevity and efficiency. They will come at different prices as well. The company you choose plays a role in which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Contract: Even though reading through a contract can take a lot of time, it's important to do it thoroughly so you can make sure you understand how much the equipment and services will cost and the terms of the warranty.
- Warranty: A quality company rises above other companies by providing the gold standard warranty — a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty covering parts, labor and performance.
EcoWatch's Cincinnati, IL Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.