Solar Panel Cost Guide in Algona, IA (Jan 2023)
- Algona Solar Installation Cost: $18,789
- 25-Year Savings: $32,767
- Payback Period: 9.1 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Algona
Although you can install solar panels on your own, it requires extra effort and handiness. Because of that, most homeowners choose to go with a solar panel installer. Also, if you'd like to maximize your investment in solar, using a solar company can help with that too. Different providers can offer warranties, expertise on solar panel installation and sometimes even information on local incentives, rebates and net metering programs.
If you're searching for a solar installer in Algona, we've compiled a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Algona
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Algona
Though the average cost of a solar system in Algona is $18,789, your actual cost may be higher or lower than that. There are several factors that can have a significant impact on the cost of a residential solar panel installation. Below are some of the more important things to consider.
One of the most significant factors to consider when it comes to the cost of going solar is the size of the solar system, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). The more electricity your household consumes, the larger your system will likely need to be. You can expect to spend around $2,770 per kilowatt in Algona. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more expensive upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Algona, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. In addition, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Many homeowners find the average cost of solar in Algona to be prohibitively steep, even if the investment pays off over time. Fortunately, almost every solar installer in the area provides access to financing options. Solar loans substantially decrease upfront costs in most cases, but they also lead to a higher cost over time due to interest. Although solar loans make adopting solar energy more accessible for Algona homeowners, they can also increase the total you pay for your system, depending on your interest rate and how long you take to pay off the loan. If you put down a larger down payment, though, you can avoid paying as much in interest.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The remaining key cost factor you should keep in mind is the installer you choose. Given the booming popularity of renewable energy solutions in Algona, you'll have plenty of options to choose from, but each comes at varying price points for labor and equipment. Some companies only sell products with high efficiency and therefore a higher price point — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally come with an above-average cost. It's best to do some research and find a company that offers the products, warranties and services you're looking for and also fits within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.88||$12,099||$19,828||9.5 years|
|8 kW||$2.83||$15,822||$26,747||9.3 years|
|10 kW||$2.77||$19,390||$33,822||9.1 years|
|12 kW||$2.71||$22,803||$41,052||8.9 years|
|14 kW||$2.66||$26,060||$48,436||8.7 years|
|16 kW||$2.60||$29,163||$55,976||8.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.55||$32,110||$63,672||8.4 years|
|20 kW||$2.49||$34,902||$71,522||8.2 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel brands and price points. To help you find the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar installer, be sure to look it over carefully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're unsure about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and what services you can expect from them.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a good reputation as a company and have demonstrated expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has positive reviews from past customers.
- Warranty: Companies typically offer different types of warranties that cover different things. A 25-year, all-inclusive warranty is the gold standard.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels depending on their roof configurations and energy needs. Although there are many options for which kind of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to ask for their list of offerings before deciding.
EcoWatch's Algona, IA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.