Solar Panel Cost Guide in Gainesville, GA (Jan 2023)
- Gainesville Solar Installation Cost: $12,120
- 25-Year Savings: $20,828
- Payback Period: 9.2 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Gainesville
When going solar, many homeowners decide to use a solar installation company since overseeing your solar installation yourself can be a challenging project. Another advantage of working with a solar company is that they can help you optimize your ROI by lowering your future costs of repairs and replacements due to warranties and helping you learn about local incentives you can take advantage of.
If you're on the hunt for a solar installer in Gainesville, we've put together a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Gainesville
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Gainesville
The cost of installing a solar system in Gainesville can vary by more than $10,000 from home to home. Your actual cost depends on several factors. The largest one is your system size, and other factors include the equipment you choose, financing options and the solar installer you choose.
One of the most important factors to consider when it comes to the cost of adopting solar energy is the size of the solar system, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). The more power your household consumes, the larger your system will likely need to be. You can expect to spend about $2,550 per kilowatt in Gainesville. The brand and kind of equipment you want for your solar system can increase or decrease the price quite significantly. If you prefer a trusted brand name like Tesla or SunPower, these are often more expensive than other brands. Efficiency also matters. Whether you're opting for high efficiency because you have a small roof or just want maximum energy production, you can expect a higher equipment cost, but this can typically lead to greater savings over time. Plus, if you want extra equipment like an electric vehicle charger or solar batteries, this will also raise the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Many homeowners find the average cost of solar in Gainesville to be prohibitively steep, even if the investment pays off over time. Fortunately, nearly every solar installer in the area provides financing options. Solar loans remarkably decrease upfront costs in most cases, but they also result in a higher cost over time due to interest. When trying to figure out your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you opt for a solar loan. Also, paying a higher down payment can lower the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Finally, the company you opt for to install your solar panels can play a role in determining the cost. Gainesville's solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. Larger national companies generally have lower costs, but some local companies compete with them by offering sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or additional services like electric car charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.65||$11,138||$17,986||9.6 years|
|8 kW||$2.60||$14,566||$24,267||9.4 years|
|10 kW||$2.55||$17,850||$30,691||9.2 years|
|12 kW||$2.50||$20,992||$37,257||9.0 years|
|14 kW||$2.45||$23,990||$43,967||8.8 years|
|16 kW||$2.40||$26,846||$50,819||8.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.35||$29,560||$57,814||8.5 years|
|20 kW||$2.29||$32,130||$64,951||8.3 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel models and price points. To help you select the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Warranty: Warranties that provide coverage for replacement parts and repairs over around 25 years are the gold standard in the business, and offering such a warranty is one mark of a good company.
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a respected certification organization for sustainable energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it likely has a good reputation and is qualified to do the job well. Another way you can research your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Solar Panel Brands: Not all solar companies offer the same brands of solar panels, so the brand and type of panel you want can play a big role in the company you opt for.
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar installer, be sure to read it through fully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're not certain about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
EcoWatch's Gainesville, GA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.