Solar Panel Cost Guide in Old Greenwich, CT (Jan 2023)
- Old Greenwich Solar Installation Cost: $8,781
- 25-Year Savings: $18,239
- Payback Period: 8.1 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Old Greenwich
Installing solar panels on your own can be a challenging task, which is why using a solar installation company is a good option for many homeowners. Also, companies with an outstanding reputation that cost more upfront could actually save you money in the long term due to their warranties, repair services and expert design.
If you're searching for a solar company in Old Greenwich, the EcoWatch team has compiled a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Old Greenwich
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Old Greenwich
Cost is typically one of the most important factors for homeowners wanting to invest in solar. There are a few major factors that determine your overall cost in Old Greenwich: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll cover each of these briefly below.
Solar system size, which is measured in kilowatts, is one of the largest factors that affects the overall cost of installing solar panels. For that reason, it's important to accurately assess the size of the solar energy system needed for your home by figuring out your average energy use. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more expensive upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Old Greenwich, where sunlight is relatively abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. In addition, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Many homeowners find the average cost of solar in Old Greenwich to be prohibitively expensive, even if the investment pays off over time. Thankfully, almost every solar company in the area provides access to financing options. Solar loans greatly decrease upfront costs in most cases, but they also lead to higher prices over time because of interest. However, the interest on solar loans also increases your overall costs, so it's important to consider that as well. You can always bring down the total you pay in interest and possibly even your APR by making a larger down payment.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The final significant cost factor you should keep in mind is the installer you choose. Given the booming popularity of clean energy solutions in Old Greenwich, you'll have many options to choose from, but each comes at different price points for labor and equipment. The company's size sometimes plays the most considerable role in the cost of installation. Larger national companies, like SunPro and Sunrun, often have lower prices due to more resources and better pricing. Smaller local companies might be more costly, but they can sometimes have better customer service and more customization options, and the occasional sale or promotion can bring their pricing down to compete with bigger companies.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.91||$12,230||$23,990||8.4 years|
|8 kW||$2.86||$15,994||$32,300||8.3 years|
|10 kW||$2.80||$19,600||$40,767||8.1 years|
|12 kW||$2.74||$23,050||$49,391||8.0 years|
|14 kW||$2.69||$26,342||$58,172||7.8 years|
|16 kW||$2.63||$29,478||$67,109||7.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.58||$32,458||$76,204||7.5 years|
|20 kW||$2.52||$35,280||$85,455||7.3 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are many solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel brands and price points. To help you decide on the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar company, be sure to look it over fully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're not certain about some of the terms, such as what to do if a part breaks or malfunctions and what services you can expect from them.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels depending on their locations and energy needs. Although there are many options for which model of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to peruse their list of offerings before making your decision.
- Installation Process: One of the most important things to understand when adopting solar power is the installation process itself. Be sure to align on any details you need to know with your solar company, such as what permits you should acquire and what the project timeline is.
- Warranty: Each company may offer different types of warranties that provide different kinds of coverage. A 25-year, all-inclusive warranty is the gold standard.
EcoWatch's Old Greenwich, CT Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.