Solar Panel Cost Guide in Valley Center, CA (Jan 2023)
- Valley Center Solar Installation Cost: $5,370
- 25-Year Savings: $17,670
- Payback Period: 5.8 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Valley Center
DIY solar panel installation is a way to cut costs, but it's an undertaking that can be a pain. Taking advantage of a solar panel installer can make your switch to solar power much easier. Also, companies with a good reputation that cost more upfront could actually save you money in the long run because of their warranties, repair services and expert design.
Working with a licensed solar installer can make going solar easier. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Valley Center
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Valley Center
Cost is often one of the most important factors for homeowners who want to invest in solar. There are a few major factors that will push your cost above or below the average in Valley Center: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll discuss each of these briefly below.
The cost of solar panels varies by thousands of dollars due to a few different factors. One of the key factors is the system size, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). Solar power systems with greater efficiency or power generation require better technology and/or more equipment, both of which can increase costs. For each additional kilowatt you need, your cost can go up by about $2,730. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Valley Center, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for solar panels in cash is too expensive, solar loans are a solid choice because they reduce your upfront costs and let you pay for your system over a term of, on average, between five and seven years. However, the interest on solar loans also adds to your total costs, so it's crucial to consider that as well. You can always bring down the total you pay in interest and in some cases even your APR by putting more money down.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you choose to handle your switch to solar energy can play a part in your total costs. There are about 3 solar installation companies in Valley Center, and each can charge different amounts for labor and equipment. The size of the company can sometimes play the most significant role in your costs. Larger national companies, like SunPro and Sunrun, often have lower pricing because of greater resources and better pricing. Smaller local companies might be more costly, but they generally have better customer service and more customization options, and the occasional sale or discount can bring their pricing lower to compete with bigger companies.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$37,188||6.1 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$49,889||6.0 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$62,744||5.8 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$75,751||5.7 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$88,911||5.6 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$102,224||5.5 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$115,690||5.4 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$129,309||5.3 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The solar installer you go with will impact not only your total costs, but also the types of solar panel brands, warranties, and other equipment you have access to. When choosing a solar company, there are several important things you should take into account, such as:
- Reputation: Solar companies that have great reviews from their customers and that have been in business for many years likely provide good-quality solar panel installation and expertise.
- Contract: When reading through your solar company's contract, ask for clarification about any terms you're not sure of and be sure you understand what happens in scenarios such as a system part breaking or the company going out of business.
- Installation Process: Make sure you're on the same page with the installer with regard to how the installation process will go and what needs to be done before your solar panels are installed, such as updating or replacing your electrical system or roof.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their roof configurations and how much efficiency they need. While there are many options for which brand of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so make sure you ask for their list of options before making your decision.
EcoWatch's Valley Center, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.