Solar Panel Cost Guide in Sunnyvale, CA (Feb 2023)
- Sunnyvale Solar Installation Cost: $5,695
- 25-Year Savings: $18,124
- Payback Period: 6.0 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Sunnyvale
Installing solar panels on your own can be a dangerous task, which is why using a solar installer is a good option for many homeowners. The expertise that solar companies offer can be invaluable as well, especially if you aren't sure what brand of solar equipment would be right for your home.
There are several licensed solar professionals that can help you install your solar panels. Here are our suggestions:
See all of the solar companies in Sunnyvale
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Sunnyvale
For many Sunnyvale homeowners, the decision to adopt solar energy comes down to cost. However, the range of solar installation costs can be quite wide in Sunnyvale, with typical prices between $20,000 to $40,000. There are a number of factors that considerably influence the price you'll pay, which we'll go over below.
The size of the solar system you need to offset your energy usage, which is measured in kilowatts, is the most important cost factor to consider. For every additional kilowatt you need, you can expect your total to increase by about $2,730. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Sunnyvale, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Also, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
For some homeowners, paying for a solar system out of pocket can be difficult. Solar loans are offered by most installers in Sunnyvale, which can lower, or in some cases completely eliminate, your upfront costs to make solar more accessible. Though solar loans make adopting solar energy more accessible for Sunnyvale homeowners, they can also increase the total you pay for your system, depending on your interest rate. If you put down a larger down payment, though, you can avoid paying as much in interest.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installation company you select will influence your total cost to make the switch to solar energy. Different companies will bill different amounts for the equipment and labor. Additionally, some companies in Sunnyvale know more about local solar incentives and can help you make good use of additional rebates or tax exemptions. Though, they may charge more for that service. Even if they cost more upfront, they could help you save more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$35,964||6.2 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$48,257||6.1 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$60,704||6.0 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$73,303||5.9 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$86,056||5.7 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$98,961||5.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$112,019||5.5 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$125,230||5.4 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
Since the brand of solar panels and the installer you choose has an impact on your costs and your system's efficiency, production, and durability, it's important to select the right ones for you. Here are some things to keep in mind to help with your decision:
- Contract: When reading through your solar company's contract, ask for clarification about any terms you're not sure of and be sure you understand what happens in scenarios such as a system component breaking or if the company goes out of business.
- Warranty: Warranties that provide coverage for replacement parts and repairs over around 25 years are the best you can get in the business, and offering such a warranty is one mark of a quality company.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and type has varying levels of quality, longevity and efficiency. They will come at different prices as well. The company you choose affects which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a sound reputation as a company and have verifiable expertise in the field. A couple of ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians that hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has good reviews from past customers.
EcoWatch's Sunnyvale, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.