Solar Panel Cost Guide in Stanford, CA (Feb 2023)
- Stanford Solar Installation Cost: $5,695
- 25-Year Savings: $18,824
- Payback Period: 5.8 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Stanford
Many homeowners opt for a solar installer since trying to install solar panels yourself can be time-consuming. Also, companies with a good reputation that cost more upfront could actually save you money in the long run with their warranties, repair services and expert design.
If you're on the hunt for a solar company in Stanford, the EcoWatch team has compiled a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Stanford
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Stanford
Cost is typically one of the most important factors for homeowners who want to invest in solar. There are a few key factors that affect your total cost in Stanford: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll discuss each of these briefly below.
The size of the solar system you need, which is measured in kilowatts, is the most significant cost factor to consider. For every additional kilowatt you need, your total will most likely increase by nearly $2,730. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Stanford, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. In addition, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
For some homeowners, paying for a solar system out of pocket can be a challenge. Solar loans are available from most installers in Stanford, which can reduce, or in some cases eliminate, your upfront costs to make solar more affordable. When figuring out your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you opt for a solar loan. Also, paying a higher down payment can lower the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Lastly, the company you opt for to install your solar system can play a part in determining the cost. Stanford's solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. Additionally, some companies in Stanford have more knowledge about local solar incentives and can help you take advantage of additional rebates or tax exemptions. Though, they may charge more for walking you through the whole process. Even if they cost more upfront, they could end up saving you more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$37,371||6.0 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$50,134||5.9 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$63,050||5.8 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$76,118||5.7 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$89,340||5.6 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$102,714||5.5 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$116,241||5.3 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$129,921||5.2 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a large number of companies available in Stanford, and some homeowners feel overwhelmed considering their options. Picking the right company for you can be tough, so here are some tips to help you decide:
- Contract: It's important to read your solar installer's contract well to understand what services they will provide, what the warranty covers and what you can expect about your solar system's energy production.
- Warranty: A quality company stands out from other companies by offering the gold standard warranty — a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty covering parts, labor and performance.
- Reputation: Long-running companies likely have a solid reputation. This is important because it ensures that it will not only see your solar project through, but will also provide adequate aftercare and customer service, such as part repairs and replacements.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels depending on their roof configurations and energy needs. While there are many options for which kind of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so make sure you take a look at their list of options before deciding.
EcoWatch's Stanford, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.