Solar Panel Cost Guide in South Lake Tahoe, CA (Feb 2023)
- South Lake Tahoe Solar Installation Cost: $5,886
- 25-Year Savings: $19,214
- Payback Period: 5.9 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in South Lake Tahoe
When going solar, many homeowners opt to use a solar installation company since overseeing your solar installation yourself can be a challenging project. The expertise that solar installers provide can be useful as well, particularly if you aren't sure what type of solar equipment you need.
If you'd like to start using solar energy but still aren't sure which solar system installer to go with, here are our recommendations for providers in South Lake Tahoe:
See all of the solar companies in South Lake Tahoe
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in South Lake Tahoe
Though the average cost of a solar system in South Lake Tahoe is $5,886, your actual cost may be higher or lower than that. There are several factors that can have a sizable impact on the cost of a solar system installation. Below are some of the more important things to consider.
Solar system size, which is measured in kilowatts, is one of the largest factors that affects the overall cost of going solar. For that reason, it's crucial to accurately gauge the size of the solar energy system needed for your home by figuring out your average energy use. There are many different solar panel brands and the one you pick also affects the cost. In general, the brands that offer higher efficiency tend to also cost more. In addition, the type of equipment you're looking to install can affect your total cost. If you only need panels, your system will be much less expensive than if you also need solar batteries or an electric vehicle charger.
Solar Financing Terms
Many homeowners find the average cost of solar in South Lake Tahoe to be prohibitively expensive, even if the investment pays off over time. Thankfully, nearly every solar company in the area offers financing options. Solar loans greatly decrease upfront costs in most cases, but they also lead to a higher cost over time due to interest. However, the interest on solar loans also increases your total costs, so it's crucial to include that in your estimate as well. You can always reduce the total you pay in interest and sometimes even your APR by making a larger down payment.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The remaining significant cost factor you should consider is the installer you choose. Given the massive popularity of sustainable energy solutions in South Lake Tahoe, you'll have a great number of options to choose from, but each comes at different price points for labor and equipment. Larger national companies usually have lower costs, but some local companies keep up with them by offering sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have access to specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or add-on services like electric car charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$36,895||6.1 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$49,499||6.0 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$62,256||5.9 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$75,166||5.8 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$88,229||5.6 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$101,445||5.5 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$114,814||5.4 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$128,335||5.3 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
Since the type of solar panels and the company you choose considerably affects your costs and your system's durability and efficiency, it's important to select the right ones for you. Here are some things to keep in mind to help with your decision:
- Installation Process: One of the most important things to understand when adopting solar power is the installation process itself. Be sure to clarify any details you need to know with your solar installer, such as what permits you should acquire and what the project timeline is.
- Contract: Even though reading through a contract can take a lot of time, it's important to do it thoroughly so you can make sure you understand what services your solar company will provide and the terms of the warranty.
- Reputation: Your solar installer should have a good reputation as a company and have demonstrated expertise in the field. Two ways to check this are to look for whether a company has technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) and if it has positive reviews from past customers.
- Solar Panel Brands: Not all solar companies carry the same brands of solar panels, so the brand and type of panel you want can play a considerable role in the company you choose.
EcoWatch's South Lake Tahoe, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.