Solar Panel Cost Guide in Richmond, CA (Jan 2023)
- Richmond Solar Installation Cost: $5,809
- 25-Year Savings: $20,522
- Payback Period: 5.5 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Richmond
When making the switch to solar, many homeowners opt to go with a solar installation company since installing solar panels yourself can be a time-consuming project. A solar company can also help save you money over the lifespan of your system by providing warranties, repairs and system component replacements.
Working with a licensed solar company can help your solar project go smoothly. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Richmond
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Richmond
While the average cost of a solar system in Richmond is $5,809, your final cost may be above or below the average. There are quite a few factors that can have a significant impact on the cost of a solar panel installation. Below are some of the more crucial things to consider.
When it comes to estimating the cost of a solar energy system in Richmond, one of the most important factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are largely based on your home's energy usage, which you can figure out by looking at past electricity bills. Your total cost can increase by around $2,730 for each additional kilowatt you need. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more costly upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Richmond, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
For some homeowners, paying for solar panels out of pocket can be challenging. Solar loans are provided by most installers in Richmond, which can lower, or in some cases totally eliminate, your upfront costs to make solar more affordable. Even though solar loans make adopting solar energy more accessible for Richmond homeowners, they can also increase the total you pay for your system, depending on your interest rate. If you put down a larger down payment, though, you can avoid paying as much in interest.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar company you select will affect your total cost to adopt solar energy. Different companies will bill different amounts for the equipment and labor. Additionally, some companies in Richmond know more about local solar incentives and can help you learn about additional rebates or tax exemptions. However, they may charge more for that service. Even if they cost more upfront, they could help you save more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$39,971||5.7 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$53,600||5.6 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$67,382||5.5 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$81,317||5.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$95,405||5.3 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$109,646||5.2 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$124,039||5.1 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$138,586||5.0 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The company that does your solar panel installation will affect the warranties and brands you have access to, and it will also have an impact on your total cost. Because selecting a company can be difficult, we have some tips to help you, such as:
- Contract: It's important to look over your solar installer's contract fully to understand what services they will provide, what the warranty covers and what expectations you should have about the installation process.
- Installation Process: Homeowners should make sure they understand how exactly the installation process will be carried out, as well as important factors like the project timeline.
- Reputation: Solar installers that have great reviews from their customers and that have been in business for many years most likely offer quality solar panel installation and expertise.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their locations and energy needs. Even though there are many options for which type of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so make sure you take a look at their list of options before making your decision.
EcoWatch's Richmond, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.