Solar Panel Cost Guide in Oakland, CA (Jan 2023)
- Oakland Solar Installation Cost: $5,752
- 25-Year Savings: $20,579
- Payback Period: 5.5 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Oakland
DIY solar panel installation is a possibility, but it's an undertaking that can use up a lot of your time and energy. Hiring a solar company can make converting to solar power much easier. Plus, if you're not certain what type of solar panels and equipment you may need, a solar company can help you figure that out after a site survey and consultation.
You can work with a local solar installer to get a free estimate on how much your investment in solar could cost for your home. Here are some nearby:
See all of the solar companies in Oakland
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Oakland
The cost of installing a solar system in Oakland can vary by more than $10,000 from home to home. Your actual cost is determined by several factors. The biggest one is your system size, and other factors include the equipment you choose, financing options and the solar installer you choose.
Solar system size, which is measured in kilowatts, is one of the largest factors that determines the overall cost of going solar. For that reason, it's a priority to accurately ascertain the size of the solar energy system needed for your home by figuring out your energy needs. The solar equipment you choose can bring your price up or down by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. If you get the most efficient solar panel brands, you'll end up paying more upfront than if you opted for the most affordable panels. On the other hand, higher efficiency could save you more over time on your power bills. Additionally, extra products, like solar batteries, can bump up your total well above the Oakland average.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar installers in Oakland have solar loans, which reduce your upfront costs of installing solar panels. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of loans, including the total interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you can only get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars more than the principal cost. Making a larger down payment or securing a solar loan with a low interest rate could reduce your costs considerably.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The final significant cost factor you should keep in mind is the installer you choose. Given the massive popularity of sustainable energy solutions in Oakland, you'll have lots of options to choose from, but each comes at various price points for labor and equipment. Additionally, some companies in Oakland are more knowledgeable about local solar incentives and can help you make good use of additional rebates or tax exemptions. However, they may charge more for walking you through the whole process. Even if they cost more upfront, they could help you save more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$40,546||5.7 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$54,367||5.6 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$68,341||5.5 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$82,468||5.4 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$96,747||5.2 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$111,180||5.1 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$125,765||5.0 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$140,504||4.9 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
Since the brand of solar panels and the installer you choose has an impact on your costs and your system's efficiency, production, and durability, it's important to pick the right ones for you. Here are some things to keep in mind to help with your decision:
- Reputation: Companies that have been in business for many years likely have a solid reputation. This is important because it ensures that it will not only see your solar project through, but will also provide adequate aftercare and customer support, such as part repairs and replacements.
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar company, make sure to read it through completely so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're unsure about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and what services you can expect from them.
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and type has varying levels of quality, durability and efficiency. They will come at different price points as well. The company you choose has an impact on which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Installation Process: Make sure you're on the same page with the installer in regard to how the installation process will go and what needs to be done before your solar panel system is installed, such as repairing your electrical system or roof.
EcoWatch's Oakland, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.