Solar Panel Cost Guide in Millbrae, CA (Feb 2023)
- Millbrae Solar Installation Cost: $5,867
- 25-Year Savings: $20,464
- Payback Period: 5.6 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Millbrae
Do-it-yourself solar panel installation is a way to cut costs, but it's an undertaking that can be a headache. Hiring a solar company can make converting to solar power much easier. Because solar panels are exposed to rain, snow, hail and wind, depending on the climate, warranties and repairs from your solar installer can help you get the most out of your investment in solar panels by reducing potential costs down the line.
If you'd like to go solar but still aren't certain which solar system company to go with, here are our recommendations for providers near you:
See all of the solar companies in Millbrae
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Millbrae
The cost of installing a solar system in Millbrae can vary by more than $10,000 from home to home. Your actual cost is determined by several factors. The largest one is your system size, and other factors include equipment choices, financing options and the solar installer you choose.
System size, which is measured in kilowatts, is one of the largest factors that determines the overall cost of installing solar panels. That's why it's important to accurately gauge the size of the solar energy system needed for your home by figuring out your energy needs. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more costly upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Millbrae, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Most solar companies in Millbrae provide solar loans, which reduce your upfront costs of installing solar panels. However, the interest on solar loans also adds to your total costs, so it's important to keep that in mind as well. You can always reduce the total you pay in interest and possibly even your APR by putting more money down.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you hire to handle your switch to renewable energy can have an effect on your total costs. There are about 3 solar installation companies operating in Millbrae, and each can charge varying amounts for labor and equipment. Some companies only sell high-quality, high-efficiency and high-price products — like Maxeon solar panels from SunPower or Tesla Powerwall batteries — so choosing those installers will generally cost more. It's best to do some research and go with the company that has the products, warranties and services you want and also fits within your budget.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$39,560||5.8 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$53,052||5.7 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$66,698||5.6 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$80,496||5.5 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$94,447||5.3 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$108,551||5.2 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$122,808||5.1 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$137,218||5.0 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The solar panel company you go with will influence not only your total costs, but also the kinds of solar panel brands, warranties, and other equipment you have access to. When choosing a solar company, there are several important things you should take into account, such as:
- Reputation: Companies that have been operating for many years likely have a solid reputation. This is important because it ensures that it will not only see your solar installation through, but will also provide quality aftercare and customer support, such as part repairs and replacements.
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar installer, be sure to read it through completely so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're not certain about some of the terms, such as what to do if a part breaks or malfunctions and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
- Solar Panel Brands: Not all solar companies carry the same brands of solar panels, so the brand and type of panel you want can play a big role in the company you hire.
- Installation Process: Homeowners should make sure they understand how exactly the installation process will be carried out, as well as important factors like the project timeline.
EcoWatch's Millbrae, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.