Solar Panel Cost Guide in Indian Wells, CA (Jan 2023)
- Indian Wells Solar Installation Cost: $5,351
- 25-Year Savings: $13,470
- Payback Period: 7.1 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Indian Wells
Although you can install solar panels yourself, it requires extra energy and handiness. That's why most people choose a solar panel installer. A solar installer can also help save you money in the long run by offering warranties, repairs and system component replacements.
Working with a professional solar installer can make going solar easier. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in Indian Wells
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Indian Wells
Cost is usually one of the most important factors for homeowners considering investing in solar. There are a few major factors that determine your overall cost in Indian Wells: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll discuss each of these briefly below.
The size of the solar panel system you need for your home, which is measured in kilowatts, is the most important cost factor to consider. For every additional kilowatt you need, your total will most likely increase by nearly $2,730. The brand and kind of equipment you get for your solar system can raise or lower the price quite significantly. If you prefer a trusted brand name like Tesla or SunPower, these often have a higher price tag than other brands. Efficiency also matters. Whether you're opting for high efficiency because you have limited roof space or just want maximum energy production, you can expect a higher equipment cost, but this can typically lead to more savings over time. Also, if you want additional equipment like an electric vehicle charger or solar batteries, this will also raise the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Solar panels can save you money on energy bills over time, but they can also be a significant investment. That's why many Indian Wells homeowners choose to finance their solar panel systems to offset upfront costs. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of loans, including the total interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you're only able to get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars more than the principal cost. Making a larger down payment or finding a solar loan with a low APR could reduce your costs considerably.
Solar Panel Installation Company
Lastly, the company you get to install your solar system can impact how much it costs. Indian Wells' solar companies all have different labor costs and add varying upcharges to equipment. The company's size can sometimes play the most significant role in the cost of installation. Larger national companies, like SunPro and Sunrun, often have lower prices because they have access to greater resources and bulk pricing. Smaller local companies might be more costly, but they generally have better customer service and more customization options, and the occasional sale or promotion can bring their pricing down to compete with bigger names.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$28,392||7.4 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$38,162||7.3 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$48,085||7.1 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$58,161||7.0 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$68,389||6.8 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$78,770||6.7 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$89,305||6.5 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$99,992||6.4 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are many solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel brands and price points. To help you pick the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their locations and energy needs. Although there are many options for which type of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to take a look at their list of offerings before making your decision.
- Installation Process: One of the most important things to understand when adopting solar power is the installation process itself. Be sure to clarify any details you should know with your solar company, such as what permits you should secure and what the project timeline is.
- Contract: Before you sign a contract with a solar installer, make sure you look it over carefully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you aren't sure about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
- Warranty: A quality company stands out from other companies by providing the gold standard warranty — a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty covering parts, labor and performance.
EcoWatch's Indian Wells, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.