Solar Panel Cost Guide in Hillsborough, CA (Feb 2023)
- Hillsborough Solar Installation Cost: $5,867
- 25-Year Savings: $20,464
- Payback Period: 5.6 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Hillsborough
Many homeowners opt for a solar panel company since trying to install solar panels on your own can be a labor-intensive endeavor. Plus, if you're unsure what brand of solar panels and equipment you want, a solar installer can help you find the right equipment for you after a site survey and consultation.
If you'd like to go solar but still aren't certain which solar company to go with, here are our suggestions for providers in Hillsborough:
See all of the solar companies in Hillsborough
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Hillsborough
There are a number of criteria that can determine your solar panel installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar system.
One of the most important factors to consider when it comes to the cost of installing solar panels is the size of the solar system, which is measured in kilowatts (kW). The more power your household uses, the larger your system will likely need to be. You can expect to spend around $2,730 per kilowatt in Hillsborough. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — cost more upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Hillsborough, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for a solar system out of pocket is out of reach, solar loans are a popular route because they lower your upfront costs and allow you to pay for your system over a term of, on average, between five and seven years. While solar loans make going solar more accessible for Hillsborough homeowners, they can also increase the total you pay for your system, depending on your interest rate. If you put down a larger down payment, though, you can avoid paying as much in interest.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final consideration when trying to evaluate the cost of solar for your home or business in Hillsborough is the company you hire to install your PV system. As with choosing a company to renovate your kitchen, for example, there are plenty of solar installers that offer a range of services for different budgets. Additionally, some companies in Hillsborough have more knowledge about local solar incentives and can help you make good use of additional rebates or tax exemptions. However, they may charge more for walking you through the whole process. Even if they cost more upfront, they could help you save more money in the long run.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$39,560||5.8 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$53,052||5.7 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$66,698||5.6 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$80,496||5.5 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$94,447||5.3 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$108,551||5.2 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$122,808||5.1 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$137,218||5.0 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The solar panel company you choose will be a major factor in determining not only your overall costs, but also the kinds of solar panel brands, warranties, and other equipment you have access to. When choosing a solar company, there are a few important things you should keep in mind, such as:
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a well-established certification organization for renewable energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it likely has a solid reputation and is qualified to get the job done well. Another way you can verify your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Installation Process: Make sure you're aligned with the installer in regard to how the installation process will go and what needs to be done before your solar system is installed, such as updating your electrical system or roof.
- Solar Panel Brands: Not all solar installers have the same brands of solar panels, so the brand and type of panel you want can play a substantial role in the company you opt for.
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar installer, make sure to look it over completely so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you're not certain about some of the terms, such as what to do if a part breaks or malfunctions and what services you can expect from them.
EcoWatch's Hillsborough, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.