Solar Panel Cost Guide in East Whittier, CA (Jan 2023)
- East Whittier Solar Installation Cost: $5,446
- 25-Year Savings: $13,323
- Payback Period: 7.3 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in East Whittier
Although you can install solar panels on your own, it takes extra effort and handiness. Because of that, most homeowners choose a solar panel installer. A solar installer can also help save you money over the lifespan of your system by offering warranties, repairs and system component replacements.
Working with a licensed solar company can make going solar easier. Here are our recommendations:
See all of the solar companies in East Whittier
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in East Whittier
There are many criteria that can affect your total installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar panels.
When it comes to estimating the cost of a solar system in East Whittier, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are chiefly based on your home's energy usage, which you can gauge by looking at past power bills. Your overall cost can increase by about $2,730 for each additional kilowatt you need. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more costly upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like East Whittier, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Also, if you have a small roof or you don't have a lot of space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be a better option. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Solar panels can save you money on utility bills over many years, but they can also be a significant investment. That's why many East Whittier homeowners opt to finance their solar panel systems to offset upfront costs. You'll have to consider the long-term cost of loans, including the amount of interest you'll pay over the length of the loan. If you can only get a high-interest loan, then your total can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars above the equipment and labor cost. Making a larger down payment or getting a solar loan with a low APR could reduce your costs significantly.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar installer you choose will influence your total cost to go solar. Different companies will bill different amounts for the equipment and labor. Larger national companies typically have lower costs, but some local companies keep up with them by promoting sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or extra services like electric car charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$27,602||7.5 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$37,109||7.4 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$46,769||7.3 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$56,581||7.1 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$66,546||7.0 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$76,664||6.8 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$86,935||6.7 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$97,359||6.5 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
The solar company you opt for will impact not only your total costs, but also the types of solar panel brands, warranties, and other equipment you have access to. When choosing a solar company, there are a few important things you should consider, such as:
- Reputation: The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is a well-established certification organization for sustainable energy professionals. If your solar panel installer is NABCEP-certified, it likely has a good reputation and is qualified to do the job well. Another way you can research your installer's reputation is by reading reviews.
- Contract: When looking through your solar company's contract, ask questions about any terms you're not sure of and be sure you understand what happens in scenarios such as a system component breaking or the company going out of business.
- Warranty: A high-quality company stands out from other companies by providing the gold standard warranty — a 25-year, all-inclusive warranty covering parts, labor and performance.
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their locations and energy needs. Although there are many options for which brand of solar panel you can get, not every company will have the exact one you may want or need, so make sure you ask for their list of offerings before deciding.
EcoWatch's East Whittier, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.