Solar Panel Cost Guide in Cupertino, CA (Feb 2023)
- Cupertino Solar Installation Cost: $5,695
- 25-Year Savings: $18,334
- Payback Period: 5.9 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Cupertino
DIY solar panel installation is a choice some homeowners opt for, but it's an undertaking that can use up a lot of your time and energy. Going with a solar company can make your switch to solar power much easier. A solar company can also help save you money over time by offering warranties, repairs and system component replacements.
If you're looking for a solar company in Cupertino, the EcoWatch team has compiled a list of our top suggestions here:
See all of the solar companies in Cupertino
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Cupertino
There are a number of factors that can play into your total installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that installs your solar system.
When it comes to estimating the price of a solar system in Cupertino, one of the most crucial factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are primarily based on your home's energy usage, which you can figure out by looking at past electricity bills. Your overall cost can increase by about $2,730 for each additional kilowatt you need. The kind of solar panels and equipment you get is another factor that will largely influence costs. Solar panels that have higher efficiency, like monocrystalline panels, tend to be more pricey. Furthermore, solar equipment goes beyond just the solar panels themselves. You'll also need to decide on the kind of racks used to mount the panels, inverters, solar batteries, etc. It's important to take all of this into consideration when researching a solar system that falls within your budget.
Solar Financing Terms
For some homeowners, paying for solar out of pocket can be a challenge. Solar loans are offered by most installers in Cupertino, which can bring down, or in some cases totally eliminate, your upfront costs to make solar more accessible. When considering your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you decide on a solar loan. Also, paying more on your down payment can lower the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar panel installation company you pick will play a role in your total cost to go solar. Different companies will charge different amounts for the equipment and labor. Larger national companies generally have lower costs, but some local companies compete with them by promoting sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or extra services like electric vehicle charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.84||$11,925||$36,386||6.2 years|
|8 kW||$2.78||$15,594||$48,820||6.1 years|
|10 kW||$2.73||$19,110||$61,408||5.9 years|
|12 kW||$2.68||$22,473||$74,148||5.8 years|
|14 kW||$2.62||$25,684||$87,041||5.7 years|
|16 kW||$2.57||$28,741||$100,087||5.6 years|
|18 kW||$2.51||$31,646||$113,286||5.5 years|
|20 kW||$2.46||$34,398||$126,637||5.3 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
Since the model of solar panels and the company you choose has an impact on your costs and your system's durability and efficiency, it's important to pick the right ones for you. Here are some tips to keep in mind to help with your decision:
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels depending on their locations and how much efficiency they need. Even though there are many options for which brand of solar panel you can get, not every company will have access to the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to peruse their list of options before deciding.
- Warranty: Each company may offer different kinds of warranties that cover different things. A 25-year, all-inclusive warranty is the gold standard.
- Installation Process: When making the switch to solar energy, it's essential to keep an open line of communication with your solar panel company. Make sure you understand how the installation process works and the completion timeline.
- Contract: When reading through your solar installer's contract, ask questions about any terms you're not sure of and be sure you understand what happens in scenarios like a system part breaking or if the company goes out of business.
EcoWatch's Cupertino, CA Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.