Solar Panel Cost Guide in Tuscaloosa, AL (Feb 2023)
- Tuscaloosa Solar Installation Cost: $15,401
- 25-Year Savings: $34,081
- Payback Period: 7.8 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Tuscaloosa
Although you can install solar panels on your own, it involves extra energy and expertise. That's why almost all homeowners choose to go with a solar panel installer. Companies can also have access to various kinds of the best solar panels and help you choose which one will be best for your home.
There are several licensed solar professionals that can install solar panels for you. Here are our suggestions:
See all of the solar companies in Tuscaloosa
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Tuscaloosa
Cost is often one of the most important factors for homeowners wanting to invest in solar. There are a few key factors that affect your total cost in Tuscaloosa: solar equipment and system size, financing options and the solar installation company you choose. We'll discuss each of these briefly below.
When it comes to estimating the price of a solar energy system in Tuscaloosa, one of the most important factors is the size of the system you need. Solar systems are sized by kilowatts (kW) and are primarily based on your home's energy usage, which you can determine by looking at past electricity bills. Your total cost can increase by around $2,450 for each additional kilowatt you need. Some solar brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more expensive upfront but also tend to offer higher efficiency. In a city like Tuscaloosa, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
If paying for solar panels in cash is difficult, solar loans are an affordable option because they reduce your upfront costs and allow you to pay for your system over a term of, on average, between five and seven years. When figuring out your overall cost, you should also calculate the interest you'll pay if you choose to go with a solar loan. Also, paying a higher down payment can lower the total interest paid over time.
Solar Panel Installation Company
A final factor to keep in mind when trying to figure out the cost of solar for your home or business in Tuscaloosa is the company you get to install your solar system. As with choosing a company to install new cabinets, for example, you'll have many options for solar installers that provide a range of services for different budgets. Larger national companies typically have lower costs, but some local companies undercut them by promoting sales and discounts. While the smaller companies might not have specific equipment options like Tesla Powerwall batteries or extra services like electric car charger installation, they might be cheaper overall.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.55||$10,702||$22,375||8.1 years|
|8 kW||$2.50||$13,994||$30,108||7.9 years|
|10 kW||$2.45||$17,150||$37,978||7.8 years|
|12 kW||$2.40||$20,168||$45,985||7.6 years|
|14 kW||$2.35||$23,050||$54,130||7.5 years|
|16 kW||$2.30||$25,794||$62,411||7.3 years|
|18 kW||$2.25||$28,400||$70,830||7.2 years|
|20 kW||$2.21||$30,870||$79,386||7.0 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel brands and price points. To help you decide on the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Solar Panel Brands: Each solar panel brand and type offers varying levels of quality, longevity and energy efficiency. They will come at different price points as well. The company you choose has an impact on which solar panel brands you have access to.
- Reputation: Well-established companies likely have a solid reputation. This is important because it ensures that it will not only see your solar installation through, but will also provide quality aftercare and customer service, such as part repairs and replacements.
- Installation Process: When making the switch to solar power, it's essential to keep an open line of communication with your solar installer. Make sure you understand how the installation process will go and the completion timeline.
- Contract: Before signing a contract with a solar installer, be sure to look it over carefully so you understand the terms. Also, ask questions if you aren't sure about some of the terms, such as what the warranty covers and if there are any guarantees about energy production.
EcoWatch's Tuscaloosa, AL Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.