Solar Panel Cost Guide in Dothan, AL (Jan 2023)
- Dothan Solar Installation Cost: $14,903
- 25-Year Savings: $32,930
- Payback Period: 7.8 Years
See cost of a solar system near you:
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
Top Solar Installers in Dothan
When going solar, many homeowners choose to use a solar installation company since installing a solar system yourself can be a time-consuming project. Local solar companies can also help you optimize your return on investment by walking you through any local incentives and by offering warranties and repairs.
You can get a free estimate from a local solar installer on how much solar panels could cost for your home. Here are some in Dothan:
See all of the solar companies in Dothan
Factors that Affect Solar Panel Costs in Dothan
There are many criteria that can play into your solar panel installation cost, such as the size of your system, the equipment you choose, your financing options and the specific company that does the installation.
System size, which is measured in kilowatts, is one of the largest factors that determines the overall cost of installing solar panels. For that reason, it's important to accurately ascertain the size of the solar energy system needed for your home by figuring out your typical energy use. Some solar panel brands — like Maxeon from SunPower — are more costly upfront but also tend to offer better efficiency. In a city like Dothan, where sunlight is abundant, efficiency can quickly pay off. Plus, if you have a small roof or limited space for your panels, higher efficiency options will be more impactful. Additional equipment like electric vehicle chargers and solar batteries will also increase the cost.
Solar Financing Terms
Solar panels can save you money on utility bills over many years, but they can also be a big investment. That's why many Dothan homeowners decide to finance their solar panel systems to make paying for solar more affordable. However, the interest on solar loans also adds to your overall costs, so it's vital to keep that in mind as well. You can always reduce the total you pay in interest and possibly even your APR by making a larger down payment.
Solar Panel Installation Company
The solar panel installation company you pick will affect your total cost to adopt solar energy. Different companies will bill different amounts for the equipment and labor. You may come across national solar installers that have lower prices because of their larger brand name and access to bulk equipment prices, or you might see small, local installation companies offering deals or promotions to compete with those larger companies.
Solar Panel Cost Data by System Size
|System size||Cost per system watt||Solar system cost||25-Year savings||Payback period|
|6 kW||$2.55||$10,702||$22,318||8.1 years|
|8 kW||$2.50||$13,994||$30,032||7.9 years|
|10 kW||$2.45||$17,150||$37,882||7.8 years|
|12 kW||$2.40||$20,168||$45,871||7.6 years|
|14 kW||$2.35||$23,050||$53,996||7.5 years|
|16 kW||$2.30||$25,794||$62,258||7.3 years|
|18 kW||$2.25||$28,400||$70,658||7.2 years|
|20 kW||$2.21||$30,870||$79,195||7.0 years|
How to Save on Solar Panels
There are a lot of solar installers to choose from, all of which offer different warranties, solar panel models and price points. To help you pick the right company for you, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Solar Panel Brands: Homeowners will have different preferences for panels based on their locations and energy needs. Although there are many options for which brand of solar panel you can get, not every company will have access to the exact one you may want or need, so be sure to peruse their list of offerings before deciding.
- Warranty: Each company may offer different kinds of warranties that provide different kinds of coverage. A 25-year, all-inclusive warranty is the gold standard.
- Reputation: Make sure your solar panel installer has a good reputation by verifying it has certifications and licenses, checking its work history and reading reviews by past customers and solar experts like EcoWatch.
- Contract: When looking over your solar company's contract, ask for clarification about any terms you're not sure of and be sure you understand what happens in scenarios like a system part breaking or if the company goes out of business.
EcoWatch's Dothan, AL Solar Cost FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.