2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Menasha, WI - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Menasha.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Menasha solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Menasha?
Renewable Energy Sales Tax Exemptions
Renewable Rewards Program
Business - 0-5 kW: $200 per kW
5-10 kW: $1000 + $150 per kW over 5
10-100 kW: $1750 + $125 per kW over 10
100-300 kW: $13000 + $100 per kW over 100
300-500 kW: $33000 + $85 per kW over 300
Biogas, Solar, and Wind Energy Equipment Exemption
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are designed to encourage people to make the switch to renewable energy by offering financial incentives that lower the burden of solar panel installation and use. Incentives could include things like discounts, cash back or credit towards your monthly utility bill. Some incentives are offered by the federal government, while others are offered by the state of Wisconsin or your utility company, county or municipality. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions are effective at the time of purchase for your solar system. Property tax exemptions let you exclude the added value of your solar system when calculating the amount of property tax you need to pay on your home.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions that lower the amount of income tax you owe the federal government. (A tax credit is different from a tax deduction.)
- Rebates: Solar rebates might be provided by your county or state, or by your local utility company. These rebates work as partial refunds that are applied after you purchase solar panels and before tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get once your solar panels are up and running. If you have in place a net metering agreement with your Menasha utility company, it will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your monthly utility bill. In some locations, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in others you might receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal incentives are the type of incentives that you are most likely to have heard of. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is probably the most well-known federal solar incentive. The ITC provides a tax credit for a set percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC applies towards solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and lets you deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, equipment, accessories and labor. This credit can apply towards a solar panel system installed on a primary or secondary residence in the United States that you own. The original amount you could claim was 30% of the total cost, although depending on when the project was completed, your credit may range from 26-30%. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
To know exactly how much the ITC could save you, contact your local Menasha solar panel installation expert.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, added more provisions to the ITC (as well as retitling it the Clean Energy Credit). The Clean Energy Credit runs until 2035. Any solar installation project that is completed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032 may qualify for a 30% tax credit. The amount will then decrease slightly on a yearly basis until the current program ends. Beginning in 2023, it will also be easier to obtain credits for energy storage systems with the new act.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Menasha solar panel installation experts can answer any questions you have and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit may apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
In addition to federal solar incentives, there are often also state ones. Rebates, tax credits and more may be available at a more local level. These solar incentives — which might be handled by the state of Wisconsin, or by your county or municipality — may be offered on an ongoing basis, or for only a limited time.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Menasha
You can receive solar incentives from the federal government and the Wisconsin government, as well as from your local utility company. The growing availability of solar initiatives over the last 15 years has helped greatly increase nationwide adoption of solar energy. When you're prepared to make the switch to solar energy, reaching out to your local Menasha solar panel installation expert is an excellent place to start.
EcoWatch's Menasha, WI Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.