2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Little Suamico, WI - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Little Suamico.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Little Suamico solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Little Suamico?
Renewable Energy Sales Tax Exemptions
Renewable Rewards Program
Business - 0-5 kW: $200 per kW
5-10 kW: $1000 + $150 per kW over 5
10-100 kW: $1750 + $125 per kW over 10
100-300 kW: $13000 + $100 per kW over 100
300-500 kW: $33000 + $85 per kW over 300
Biogas, Solar, and Wind Energy Equipment Exemption
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The term "solar incentives" covers a wide range of financial incentives designed to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. You may qualify for various types of incentives, such as discounts, cash back or monthly utility bill credits, depending on your situation. Certain incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the Wisconsin government and others from the federal government. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Net Metering: Make sure you talk to your Little Suamico utility company about signing a net metering contract. This will allow you to get a credit towards your monthly utility bill for the value of excess energy your solar panels generate. You could receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits lower, dollar-for-dollar, how much income tax you owe the government. These are different from tax deductions.
- Tax Exemptions: These can come in the form of property tax exemptions, which let you ignore the value added by your solar panels when paying property tax on your house. They may also include exemptions on sales tax at the time of purchase.
- Rebates: A solar rebate is a partial refund credited to your account after you've paid for your solar panels. Rebates may be offered by your local utility company, your county or your state. The cash back that you get from the rebates is normally applied before calculating tax credits.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal incentives are the kind of incentives that you are most likely to have heard of. The solar incentive that you're most familiar with is probably the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which gives you a credit on your taxes equal to a percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC applies to a solar system installed on your primary or secondary residence in the United States. The solar system must have been installed on a property you own after January 1, 2006 for you to claim the credit. Originally, the ITC covered 30% of all installation costs (panels, equipment, accessories and labor), although this amount has fluctuated over time between 26-30%. The amount you qualify for will depend on when your solar system was installed. There is no cap on the amount you can claim.
Your local Little Suamico solar panel installation expert can provide more information about the ITC and how it might apply to your situation.
In August 2022, the ITC (now titled the Clean Energy Credit) was bolstered by the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act. Under the new program, solar installation projects begun after January 1, 2022 and finished by December 31, 2032 might qualify for a 30% tax credit. This credit amount will then see a slight annual decrease until the current Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. Beginning in 2023, it will also be easier to obtain credits for energy storage systems with the new act.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Little Suamico solar panel installers are the best people to answer your questions regarding the new Clean Energy Credit and how it applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Rebates, tax credits and more might be claimed at multiple levels. Along with federal solar incentives, there are often state and local ones, too. Some incentives are ongoing, while others might only be available for a limited time. Incentives might be provided by the Wisconsin government, or by your county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Little Suamico
The nationwide use of solar energy has gone up significantly in the past 15 years, in part thanks to the growth in the number of solar incentives. You may get these incentives from the Wisconsin government, the federal government or your local utility company. Talking to your local Little Suamico solar panel installation expert is an excellent first step towards getting the most money possible when you switch to solar energy.
EcoWatch's Little Suamico, WI Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.