2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Lake Geneva, WI - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Lake Geneva.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Lake Geneva solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Lake Geneva?
Renewable Energy Sales Tax Exemptions
Renewable Rewards Program
Business - 0-5 kW: $200 per kW
5-10 kW: $1000 + $150 per kW over 5
10-100 kW: $1750 + $125 per kW over 10
100-300 kW: $13000 + $100 per kW over 100
300-500 kW: $33000 + $85 per kW over 300
Biogas, Solar, and Wind Energy Equipment Exemption
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The phrase "solar incentives" broadly refers to financial incentives designed to encourage increased use of renewable energy by making the installation and use of solar panels more affordable. You might qualify for different types of incentives, such as discounts, cash back or monthly utility bill credits, depending on your situation. Some incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the Wisconsin government and others from the federal government. You might qualify for any of the following types of solar incentives:
- Tax Credits: Unlike tax deductions, tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the federal government.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get after your solar panels are up and running. If you have a net metering agreement with your Lake Geneva utility company, they will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your monthly utility bill. In some areas, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in others you may receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Your solar panel system could qualify for exemptions on both sales and property tax. Sales tax exemptions are effective at the time of purchase. Property tax exemptions let you exclude the value that solar panels add when you are calculating property taxes on your home.
- Rebates: Rebates, or cash back after a purchase, are normally applied before any solar tax credits are calculated. These rebates might be given by your local utility company, by your county or by your state.
Federal Solar Incentives
When people think of solar incentives, federal incentives are likely the first thing that comes to mind. The solar incentive that you may be most familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which gives you a credit on your taxes equal to a certain percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC initially applied to 30% of the cost of installing solar panels, although it has fluctuated slightly over the years between 26-30%. The percentage you qualify for will depend on when your solar system was installed. The total installation cost includes the panels themselves as well as the cost of equipment, accessories and labor. There is no maximum amount you can claim. The ITC applies to solar panels installed after January 1, 2006 on your primary or secondary residence. The residence must be owned by you and in the United States.
Reaching out to your local Lake Geneva solar panel installation expert is the best way to learn more about how the ITC may apply to your situation.
In August 2022, the ITC (now called the Clean Energy Credit) was bolstered by the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act. The new Clean Energy Credit is valid until 2035. Homeowners are now eligible for a 30% credit for solar systems that began installation after January 1, 2022 and are completed by the end of 2032. This credit will then see a slight annual decrease until the date of expiration. The expansion also makes claiming credit for energy storage systems easier than ever before, starting in 2023.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Lake Geneva solar panel installation expert is the best person to answer your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives are often also provided by state and local governments. Like with federal incentives, these could include rebates, tax credits and more. Some incentives are offered for only a limited time, while others are ongoing. Local solar incentives might come from the Wisconsin government, or from your specific county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Lake Geneva
The expanding number of available solar incentives has enormously increased the adoption of solar energy nationwide over the last 15 years. You can get solar incentives from your local utility company, the federal government or the Wisconsin government. It is a good idea to talk to your local Lake Geneva solar installation company for more information about these incentives and to be sure that you're getting the most money possible for your solar panels.
EcoWatch's Lake Geneva, WI Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.