2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Kaukauna, WI - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Kaukauna.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Kaukauna solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Kaukauna?
Renewable Energy Sales Tax Exemptions
Renewable Rewards Program
Business - 0-5 kW: $200 per kW
5-10 kW: $1000 + $150 per kW over 5
10-100 kW: $1750 + $125 per kW over 10
100-300 kW: $13000 + $100 per kW over 100
300-500 kW: $33000 + $85 per kW over 300
Biogas, Solar, and Wind Energy Equipment Exemption
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are designed to make renewable energy usage more affordable through financial incentives for those who install solar panels on their homes. Different types of incentives, including discounts, cash back or credit towards your monthly utility bill, may be available to you. Certain incentives may be provided via the Wisconsin government, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while others are federal. Some broad categories of solar incentives include:
- Rebates: Solar companies may help you claim a rebate, or partial refund of your purchase, for your solar system. Counties or states will also sometimes offer limited-time rebates. The value of a rebate will usually be deducted from your total price before tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits decrease, dollar-for-dollar, the total amount of tax you owe the government. Tax credits are different from tax deductions.
- Net Metering: Be sure to talk with your Kaukauna utility company about signing a net metering agreement. This will allow you to get a credit towards your monthly utility bill for the value of excess energy generated by your solar panels. You could receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions are effective at the point of sale for your solar panels. Property tax exemptions allow you to exclude the value that your solar panels add when you're calculating the amount of property tax you need to pay on your house.
Federal Solar Incentives
When someone says "solar incentives," you probably think of federal incentives first. You might have heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. The ITC is a tax credit that reduces your taxes by a certain percentage of the money you spend on your solar system.
The ITC applies to a solar system installed on your primary or secondary residence in the United States. The solar panels must have been installed on a property you own after January 1, 2006 for you to be eligible for the credit. Originally, the ITC covered 30% of all system installation costs (panels, equipment, accessories and labor), although the covered amount has fluctuated over the last few years between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you are eligible for. There is no cap on the claim amount.
Have questions about how the ITC applies to your specific situation? Get in touch with your local Kaukauna solar panel installation expert to get more information.
In August 2022, the ITC (now titled the Clean Energy Credit) was expanded and extended by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act. With the new provisions, solar installation projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed by the end of 2032 can qualify for a 30% tax credit. The amount of the credit will then see a slight annual decrease until the end of the current Clean Energy Credit in 2035. The program expansion also makes claiming credit for energy storage systems easier than ever before, starting in 2023.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Kaukauna solar panel installer can answer any questions you have and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit may apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Tax credits, rebates and more might be claimed at multiple levels. In addition to federal solar incentives, there are often state and local ones as well. Incentives might be provided by your county or municipality, or by the state of Wisconsin. Some incentives might only be available for a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Kaukauna
Solar energy use nationwide has increased enormously in the last 15 years, in part due to the increase in availability of solar incentives. You might receive these incentives from your local utility company, the federal government or the Wisconsin government. We recommend talking to your local Kaukauna solar installation company for more information about these incentives and to be sure that you're getting the largest number possible for your solar system.
EcoWatch's Kaukauna, WI Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.