2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Fond du Lac, WI - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Fond du Lac.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Fond du Lac solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Fond du Lac?
Renewable Energy Sales Tax Exemptions
Renewable Rewards Program
Business - 0-5 kW: $200 per kW
5-10 kW: $1000 + $150 per kW over 5
10-100 kW: $1750 + $125 per kW over 10
100-300 kW: $13000 + $100 per kW over 100
300-500 kW: $33000 + $85 per kW over 300
Biogas, Solar, and Wind Energy Equipment Exemption
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are intended to encourage people to switch to renewable energy by providing incentives that lower the financial burden of solar panel installation and use. You might qualify for various types of incentives, such as discounts, cash back or monthly utility bill credits, depending on your situation. Some incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the Wisconsin government and others from the federal government. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the government. (A tax credit is different from a tax deduction.)
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions can come in one of two forms. First, there is sales tax exemption, applied when you purchase solar panels. The second is property tax exemption. This allows you to ignore the value added by your solar system when paying property tax on your home.
- Net Metering: Make sure you speak with your Fond du Lac utility company about signing a net metering agreement. This allows you to get a credit towards your monthly utility bill for the value of excess energy generated by your solar panels. You might receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Rebates: Solar rebates can be provided by your state or county, or by your local utility company. These rebates are essentially cash back that is applied after your purchase of a solar system and before tax credits are calculated.
Federal Solar Incentives
When you hear the term "solar incentives," federal incentives may be the first thing that comes to mind. It's likely that you've heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. This incentive is a tax credit that reduces your taxes by a certain percentage of the money you spend on solar panels for your home.
The ITC is applied to the total cost of installing solar panels, including the panels themselves as well as equipment, labor and accessories. This credit can be claimed for panels installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence that you own, as long as it is located in the United States. Originally set at 30% of total costs, the credit has fluctuated over time, and you may qualify for different amounts depending on when your project was completed. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
To best understand how the ITC might apply to your situation, call your local Fond du Lac solar panel installation expert and ask for more information.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, expanded and extended the ITC (as well as renaming it to the Clean Energy Credit). The Clean Energy Credit is valid until 2035. Any solar installation project that is completed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032 may qualify for a 30% tax credit; this amount will then decrease slightly each year until the current program ends. Beginning in 2023, it will also be easier to claim credits for energy storage systems with the new act.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Fond du Lac solar panel company can answer any questions you have and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit may apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
There are more than just federal solar incentives; tax credits, rebates and more might also be offered at the state and local level. Incentives might be provided by the state of Wisconsin, or by your county or municipality. Certain incentives might only be available for a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Fond du Lac
The variety of available solar incentives has enormously increased the use of solar power nationwide over the past 15 years. You might qualify for solar incentives from the federal government, the Wisconsin government or from your local utility company. We suggest talking to your local Fond du Lac solar installation company for more information about these incentives and to make sure that you're getting all of the money you can for your solar panels.
EcoWatch's Fond du Lac, WI Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.