2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Burlington, WI - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Burlington.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Burlington solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Burlington?
Renewable Energy Sales Tax Exemptions
Renewable Rewards Program
Business - 0-5 kW: $200 per kW
5-10 kW: $1000 + $150 per kW over 5
10-100 kW: $1750 + $125 per kW over 10
100-300 kW: $13000 + $100 per kW over 100
300-500 kW: $33000 + $85 per kW over 300
Biogas, Solar, and Wind Energy Equipment Exemption
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives help mitigate the cost of installing a solar panel system on your home. Financial incentives like these are intended to encourage more homeowners to switch to renewable energy. Various kinds of incentives, such as cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, may be available to you. Some incentives may be provided via the state of Wisconsin, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while other incentives are federal. Categories of solar incentives include:
- Tax Credits: These credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in how much income tax you owe the federal government.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions can come in one of two forms. The first is sales tax exemption, applied at the time you purchase your solar panels. The second is property tax exemption. This allows you to ignore the added value of your solar system when paying property tax on your home.
- Net Metering: Make sure you talk with your Burlington utility company about signing a net metering agreement. This allows you to receive credit towards your utility bill every month for the value of excess energy your solar panels generate. You could receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Rebates: Rebates, or cash back after a purchase, are normally given before any solar tax credits are calculated. Rebates might be provided by your local utility company, by your county or by your state.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal incentives are the kind of incentives that you are most likely to have heard of. An incentive many people are likely familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC). This incentive is a tax credit for a predetermined percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC can be applied to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and under this program you can deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, labor, equipment and accessories. This credit can apply towards a solar panel system installed on a primary or secondary residence in the United States that you own. Originally, you could claim 30% of the total cost, although the amount you can claim may range between 26-30%. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
Wondering how the ITC applies to your specific situation? Reach out to your local Burlington solar panel installer to get more information.
The ITC was both renewed and expanded by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act in August 2022. It's also now called the Clean Energy Credit. The Clean Energy Credit re-raises the credit up to 30% for solar systems installed between 2022 and 2032. At this point, the credit percentage will be reduced slightly each year until the end of the program in 2035. Starting in 2023, the program expansion will also make it easier to get credit for energy storage systems.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. The easiest way to understand how the new Clean Energy Credit might apply to you is to talk with your local Burlington solar panel installers.
State & Local Solar Incentives
In addition to those provided at the federal level, there are often also state solar incentives. Tax credits, rebates and more may be available at a more local level. The incentives — which might be handled by the state of Wisconsin, or by your county or municipality — may be offered for only a limited time, or on an ongoing basis.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Burlington
The variety of solar incentives available has contributed greatly to the increase in the use of solar power nationwide over the last 15 years. You may receive solar incentives from your local utility company, the Wisconsin government or the federal government. Getting in touch with your local Burlington solar panel installer is the right first step towards making sure you get all the incentives you qualify for when you switch to solar energy.
EcoWatch's Burlington, WI Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.