2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Ashwaubenon, WI - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Ashwaubenon.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Ashwaubenon solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Ashwaubenon?
Renewable Energy Sales Tax Exemptions
Renewable Rewards Program
Business - 0-5 kW: $200 per kW
5-10 kW: $1000 + $150 per kW over 5
10-100 kW: $1750 + $125 per kW over 10
100-300 kW: $13000 + $100 per kW over 100
300-500 kW: $33000 + $85 per kW over 300
Biogas, Solar, and Wind Energy Equipment Exemption
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives mitigate the cost of installing a solar panel system on your home. Financial incentives like these are in place to encourage more people to switch their home over to renewable energy. You might be eligible for several types of incentives, including discounts, cash back or credit towards your monthly utility bill, depending on your situation. Certain incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the Wisconsin government and others from the federal government. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Tax Credits: Tax credits reduce, dollar-for-dollar, the total amount of tax you owe the federal government. These differ from tax deductions.
- Rebates: Your solar installer might help you claim a rebate, or partial refund of your purchase, for your solar panels. Counties or states will also sometimes offer limited-time rebates. If you receive a rebate, that amount will usually come off your total price before any tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Exemptions: These could come in the form of property tax exemptions, which allow you to ignore the value of your solar system when paying taxes on your home. You could also look for exemptions on sales tax at the time of purchase.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get after your solar panels are up and running. If you have a net metering agreement in place with your Ashwaubenon utility company, they will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your utility bill each month. In some places, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in others you might make back a percentage of the value.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal incentives are the kind of incentives that you are most likely to have some familiarity with. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is probably the best-known federal solar incentive. The ITC provides you with a tax credit for a set percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC applies to the total cost of solar panel installation, including the panels themselves as well as accessories, labor and equipment. You can claim this credit for panels installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence that you own, as long as it is located in the United States. From its original value of 30% of the total cost, the credit has fluctuated slightly between 26-30%, and you may qualify for varying percentages depending on when your project was completed. There is no maximum claim amount.
Curious how the ITC might apply to your specific situation? Contact your local Ashwaubenon solar panel installer to get more information.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, added more provisions to the ITC (as well as renaming it to the Clean Energy Credit). Homeowners can now receive a credit of 30% of the total solar system installation costs for projects that began after January 1, 2022 and will be finished by the end of 2032. The percentage will then decrease annually until the Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. The program expansion also makes credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim, beginning in 2023.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. The easiest way to fully understand how the new Clean Energy Credit might apply to you is to get in touch with your local Ashwaubenon solar panel installers.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives may be provided by state and local governments. Like with federal incentives, these can include rebates, tax credits and more. Some incentives are ongoing, while others are available for a limited time. They might be provided by the Wisconsin government, or by your county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Ashwaubenon
Solar energy use nationwide has increased enormously in the past 15 years, in part due to the proliferation of solar incentives. You may get these incentives from your local utility company, the federal government or the Wisconsin government. When you're ready to make the switch to solar energy, talking to your local Ashwaubenon solar panel installation expert is a great first step.
EcoWatch's Ashwaubenon, WI Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.