2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Wytheville, VA - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Wytheville.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Wytheville solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
By EcoWatch Local Advisors
Data Analysis: James Savino
Ranking Methodology: Karsten Neumeister
Updated March 14, 2023
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Wytheville?
Income Tax Deduction for Energy-Efficient Products
Local Option- Renewable Energy Machinery and Tools Property Tax Exemption
Local Option - Residential Property Tax Exemption for Solar
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are meant to encourage homeowners to switch their home over to renewable energy by providing incentives meant to lower the financial burden of solar panel installation and use. Incentives can include things like discounts, cash back or credit on your utility bill each month. Some incentives are provided by the federal government, while others are provided by the state of Virginia or by your utility company, county or municipality. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Rebates: A rebate is a partial refund credited to your account after you've paid for your solar panels. Rebates might be offered by your local utility company, your state or your county. The rebates are usually applied before calculating tax credits.
- Net Metering: Net metering becomes relevant after your solar panels are up and running. If you've signed a net metering agreement with your Wytheville utility company, the company will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your monthly utility bill. In some locations, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in others you may receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions are effective at the point of sale for your solar system. Property tax exemptions let you exclude the added value of your solar system when calculating how much property tax you need to pay on your home.
- Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC): SRECs and similar performance-based incentives are usually handled at the state level. Once your solar system meets the threshold (generally a small amount of energy production), you are eligible to receive SRECs that you can then sell to your utility company or other buyers. The money you make from the sale is generally considered part of your taxable income.
- Tax Credits: Unlike tax deductions, tax credits reduce, dollar-for-dollar, the amount of income tax that you owe the federal government.
Federal Solar Incentives
When people think of solar incentives, federal incentives might be the first thing that comes to mind. You've likely heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. The ITC is a tax credit equal to a specified percentage of the money you spend on solar panels for your home.
The ITC applies to the total cost of installing solar panels, including the panels themselves as well as accessories, labor and equipment. This credit can be claimed for panels installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence that you own and that is located in the United States. From its original value of 30% of the total cost, the credit has fluctuated slightly between 26-30%, and you may qualify for varying percentages depending on when your project was completed. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
Talking to your local Wytheville solar panel installation expert is the best way to learn more about how the ITC applies to you.
In August 2022, the ITC (now called the Clean Energy Credit) was bolstered by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act. The Clean Energy Credit lasts until 2035. Solar installation projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed by the end of 2032 may qualify for a 30% tax credit. This amount will be decreased slightly each year until the end of the current program. The expansion to the program also makes credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim, beginning in 2023.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Wytheville solar panel company is the best resource for answering your questions regarding the new Clean Energy Credit and how it applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives are often also provided by state and local governments. As with federal incentives, these could include tax credits, rebates and more. Incentives may be provided by your county or municipality, or by the state of Virginia. Some incentives may be available for only a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Wytheville
Solar energy use nationwide has gone up tremendously in the past 15 years, in part due to the proliferation of solar incentives. You may get these incentives from your local utility company, the Virginia government or the federal government. Speak with your local solar panel installation expert today to learn more and to save the most money possible on solar panels for your Wytheville home.
Best Solar Financing
Blue Raven Solar
- Industry-leading in-house financing
- Competitive pricing
- Excellent reputation
- Doesn't offer solar batteries (coming 2022)
- Price-match guarantee
- Sleek, efficient, and durable solar panels
- Best solar battery on the market
- Some reported issues with customer service
- Customer service varies by local dealer
EcoWatch's Wytheville, VA Solar Incentives FAQs
Can I get any financial incentives when I add solar panels to a rental property, vacation home or commercial property?
Many solar incentives are intended to apply to a property located within the United States that you own, and most secondary residences fall into this category. There may be other solar incentives available for commercial properties, depending on the specifics. We recommend speaking with your local solar installer and/or tax professional to better understand what incentives may apply to your specific situation.
How can I find out if I qualify for solar incentives?
Generally, solar incentives apply to:
- a new solar panel system
- installed on a property that you own
- within the U.S.
- within the date range specified by a particular incentive.
Specific incentives, including those run by the Virginia government or by your county/municipality, might have additional qualifications. Talk to your local Wytheville solar installer to discover what incentives your project may qualify for.
How much can I save on my electric bill annually if I add solar panels to my house in Wytheville?
Typically, Wytheville homeowners who install solar panels save about $906.22 per year, or about $17,218.09 over 20 years after making the switch.
Who installs solar panels near me?
To discover the best solar panel installers near you, take a look at our article on Wytheville's best solar panel companies.
What are some environmental benefits of installing solar panels on my home?
Solar energy is renewable — by switching where you get your energy, you help reduce the strain on our planet's resources. Solar panels can also lower the CO2 emissions from your home by 450 pounds a year, or around 9,000 pounds in 20 years.
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.
Solar incentive research was conducted by Melissa Smith and Karsten Neumeister. Local data analysis was conducted by James Savino. See something we missed or could do better? Email the editor.