2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Sudley, VA - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Sudley.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Sudley solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Sudley?
Income Tax Deduction for Energy-Efficient Products
Local Option- Renewable Energy Machinery and Tools Property Tax Exemption
Local Option - Residential Property Tax Exemption for Solar
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are intended to encourage homeowners to switch their home over to renewable energy by providing incentives that lower the financial burden of solar panel installation and use. Solar incentives may include upfront discounts, cash back or monthly credits towards your utility bill. Some incentives are provided by the federal government, some by the state of Virginia and some by your utility company, county or municipality. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Rebates: A solar rebate is a partial refund given after you've purchased your solar system. Rebates may be offered by your local utility company, your county or your state. The discount that rebates offer is normally applied to the price of solar panels before calculating tax credits.
- Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC): SRECs are credits that can be sold to your utility company (or other buyers) for cash that typically becomes part of your taxable income. In most cases, you must meet a certain (small) threshold of energy production before your solar system qualifies for SRECs or other performance-based incentives. Incentives like these are normally handled by your state government.
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions are effective at the point of sale for your solar panels. Property tax exemptions allow you to ignore the value added by your solar system when you calculate how much property tax you need to pay.
- Net Metering: You can sign a net metering agreement with your Sudley utility company. This agreement may apply to all or a percentage of the excess electricity your solar panels generate. They will then deduct this value from your monthly utility bill.
- Tax Credits: Unlike tax deductions, tax credits reduce, dollar-for-dollar, the amount of income tax that you owe the government.
Federal Solar Incentives
When you hear the term "solar incentives," federal incentives are likely the first thing that comes to mind. You've likely heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. The ITC is a tax credit equal to a certain percentage of the money you spend on your solar system.
The ITC can be applied to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence in the United States that you own. The credit initially covered 30% of the total cost — for panels, accessories, equipment and labor — although it may range from 26-30%, depending on when your solar project was undertaken. There is no cap on the amount you can claim.
Curious how the ITC might apply to your specific situation? Get in touch with your local Sudley solar panel installer to get more information.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, expanded and extended the ITC (as well as renaming it to the Clean Energy Credit). Now, solar installation projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed by the end of 2032 might qualify for a 30% tax credit. This percentage will then decrease slightly each year until the end of the current Clean Energy Credit in 2035. The expansion to the program also makes credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim, beginning in 2023.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Sudley solar panel company can answer your questions and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives are often also provided by state and local governments. Like with federal incentives, these could include tax credits, rebates and more. Certain incentives are ongoing, while others are available for a limited time. Solar incentives might be provided by the Virginia government, or by your county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Sudley
The large number of solar incentives available has contributed greatly to the increase in the use of solar power nationwide over the past 15 years. You can get solar incentives from your local utility company, the federal government or the Virginia government. When you're ready to switch over to solar energy, reaching out to your local Sudley solar panel installation expert is an excellent place to start.
EcoWatch's Sudley, VA Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.