2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Lincolnia, VA - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Lincolnia.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Lincolnia solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
By EcoWatch Local Advisors
Data Analysis: James Savino
Ranking Methodology: Karsten Neumeister
Updated May 04, 2023
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Lincolnia?
Income Tax Deduction for Energy-Efficient Products
Local Option- Renewable Energy Machinery and Tools Property Tax Exemption
Local Option - Residential Property Tax Exemption for Solar
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives encourage homeowners to switch their home over to renewable energy by offering financial incentives that lower the burden of solar panel installation and use. You might be eligible for several kinds of incentives, including cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, depending on your situation. Certain incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the state of Virginia and others from the federal government. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions are applied at the point of sale for your solar system. Property tax exemptions allow you to ignore the value added by your solar system when calculating the amount of property tax you need to pay on your house.
- Net Metering: Make sure you talk to your Lincolnia utility company about signing a net metering contract. This allows you to get a credit towards your monthly utility bill for the value of excess energy generated by your solar panels. You may receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Rebates: A solar rebate is a partial refund after the purchase of your solar panels. These could be offered by your local utility company, your county or your state. The rebates are usually applied before tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Credits: Unlike tax deductions, tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the government.
- Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC): Generally, solar systems that produce over a threshold (normally small) amount of electricity will qualify for SRECs or other performance-based incentives. SRECs and similar incentives are typically provided by your state government. SRECs can be sold to your utility company or another buyer, and the money you receive is normally considered part of your taxable income.
Federal Solar Incentives
When thinking about solar incentives, you likely think of federal incentives first. It's likely that you've heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. This incentive is a tax credit that reduces your taxes by a specified percentage of the money you spend installing solar panels.
The ITC applies towards solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and lets you deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, equipment, labor and accessories. This credit can apply towards a solar panel system installed on a primary or secondary residence in the United States that you own. The original amount you could claim was 30% of the total cost, although depending on when the project was completed, your credit may range from 26-30%. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
To understand exactly how much money the ITC could save you, get in touch with your local Lincolnia solar panel installer.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, expanded and extended the ITC (as well as renaming it to the Clean Energy Credit). The new Clean Energy Credit now runs until 2035. You can now receive a 30% credit for solar systems installed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032. The total credit will then decrease annually until the date of expiration. The expansion to the program also makes it easier to get credit for energy storage systems, starting in 2023.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Lincolnia solar panel installers are the best people to answer your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Not all solar incentives are federal; tax credits, rebates and more might also be offered at the state and local level. Certain incentives are offered for only a limited time, while others are ongoing. Your local solar incentives may come from the Virginia government, or from your specific county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Lincolnia
Solar incentives might come from your local utility company, the federal government or the Virginia government. The large number of available incentives has helped nationwide use of solar energy increase greatly in the last 15 years. Your local Lincolnia solar panel installer can give you more information about which incentives you can apply for, and get you on track to switch to renewable energy today.
Best Solar Financing
Blue Raven Solar
- Industry-leading in-house financing
- Competitive pricing
- Excellent reputation
- Doesn't offer solar batteries
Best Warranty Coverage
- Industry-leading warranty coverage
- Expansive service area
- Some reported communication issues
- No leases or PPAs
EcoWatch's Lincolnia, VA Solar Incentives FAQs
Can I receive any incentives when I add solar panels to a rental property, vacation home or commercial property?
While we recommend speaking with your local solar installer and/or tax professional to best understand what solar incentives apply to you, many can be claimed on a second home, provided that it is in the United States and owned by you. There may be additional incentives available for commercial properties specifically, depending on the specifics.
How much will solar panels save me annually on my electric bill in Lincolnia?
After adding solar panels to your house in Lincolnia, you can expect to save around $898.00 per year, or around $17,062.02 over 20 years.
What are the highest-rated solar panel installation companies near me?
To discover the best solar panel installers near you, take a look at our article on Lincolnia's best solar panel companies.
I want to switch my appliances out for ones that are more energy-efficient. Are there any incentives I can apply for?
The new Inflation Reduction Act creates a number of new financial incentives for making eco-friendly improvements to your home. More details about these incentives, including information about incentives for purchasing new appliances, can be found here.
Can I claim incentives both towards the initial cost of solar panels, and later as reimbursement?
The order your incentives will be applied in may vary depending on which incentives you are eligible for but usually yes, you can receive multiple types of incentives for your solar project. Talk with your solar installer or a local tax professional to be sure you are claiming all of the incentives you qualify for and applying them in the correct order.
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.
Solar incentive research was conducted by Melissa Smith and Karsten Neumeister. Local data analysis was conducted by James Savino. See something we missed or could do better? Email the editor.