2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Huntington, VA - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Huntington.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Huntington solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Huntington?
Income Tax Deduction for Energy-Efficient Products
Local Option- Renewable Energy Machinery and Tools Property Tax Exemption
Local Option - Residential Property Tax Exemption for Solar
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives encourage people to switch to renewable energy by offering financial incentives meant to lower the burden of solar panel installation and use. Different kinds of incentives, including cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, may be available to you. Some incentives may be offered by the state of Virginia, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while others are federal. You might qualify for any of the following types of solar incentives:
- Tax Credits: Different from tax deductions, tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the federal government.
- Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC): In most cases, solar systems that produce over a threshold (usually small) amount of electricity can qualify for SRECs or other similar performance-based incentives. SRECs and similar incentives are typically offered by your state government. When you receive an SREC, you can sell it to your utility company or another buyer, and the money you receive is normally considered part of your taxable income.
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions go into effect at the time of purchase for your solar system. Property tax exemptions allow you to exclude the value that your solar panels add when you're calculating how much property tax you need to pay.
- Rebates: A solar rebate is a partial refund after the purchase of your solar system. These could be offered by your local utility company, your county or your state. The discount that rebates offer is normally applied to the price of solar panels before tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: You may be able to sign a net metering contract with your Huntington utility company. This agreement may apply to all or a percentage of the excess electricity that is generated by your solar panels. They will then deduct this value from your utility bill each month.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are probably the first thing that you think of when you think about solar incentives. An incentive that most people are likely to be familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC). This is a tax credit for a specified percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC can be credited towards the value of a solar system installed on your primary or secondary residence in the United States. The solar system must have been installed after January 1, 2006 on a property you own for you to claim the credit. Initially, the ITC applied to 30% of all installation costs (panels, equipment, labor and accessories), although this amount has fluctuated over the last few years between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you are eligible for. There is no cap on the amount you can claim.
To better understand how the ITC will apply to your situation, contact your local Huntington solar panel installation expert and ask for more information.
In August 2022, the ITC (now referred to as the Clean Energy Credit) was expanded and extended by the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act. For solar system installations that begin after January 1, 2022 and are completed by the end of 2032, homeowners may be eligible for a credit for 30% of the total cost. This percentage will decrease annually after 2032 until the Clean Energy Credit ends in 2035. The expansion to the program also makes claiming credit for energy storage systems easier than ever before, beginning in 2023.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Huntington solar panel company is the best resource for answering your questions regarding the new Clean Energy Credit and how it applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
In addition to federal solar incentives, there are often also state ones. Tax credits, rebates and more can be offered at a more local level. Incentives may be offered by your county or municipality, or by the state of Virginia. Certain incentives are available for only a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Huntington
You can apply for and receive solar incentives from the federal government and the Virginia government, as well as from your local utility company. Growing availability of solar initiatives in the past 15 years has helped greatly increase nationwide adoption of solar energy. Your local Huntington solar panel installation expert can give you more information about which incentives you can apply for, and get you on track to switch to renewable energy today.
EcoWatch's Huntington, VA Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.