2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Crozet, VA - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Crozet.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Crozet solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
By EcoWatch Local Advisors
Data Analysis: James Savino
Ranking Methodology: Karsten Neumeister
Updated March 14, 2023
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Crozet?
Income Tax Deduction for Energy-Efficient Products
Local Option- Renewable Energy Machinery and Tools Property Tax Exemption
Local Option - Residential Property Tax Exemption for Solar
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are intended to make renewable energy usage more affordable via financial incentives to help people install solar panels on their homes. Incentives can include things like discounts, cash back or credit on your utility bill each month. Some incentives are offered federally, while others are provided by the state of Virginia or your specific utility company, county or municipality. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Rebates: Solar rebates might be offered by your state or county, or by your local utility company. These rebates are essentially partial refunds that are applied after your purchase of solar panels and before tax credits are calculated.
- Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC): SRECs can be sold to your utility company (or other buyers) for cash that normally counts as part of your taxable income. Generally, there is a small threshold of energy production to meet before your solar system is eligible for SRECs or other performance-based incentives. SRECs and similar incentives are normally handled at the state level.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in the amount of tax that you owe the federal government.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions may come in two forms. The first is sales tax exemption, applied at the time you purchase your solar panels. The second is property tax exemption. This allows you to ignore the value added by your solar system when calculating property tax for your home.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get after your solar system is up and running. If you have a net metering agreement with your Crozet utility company, the company will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your utility bill each month. In some places, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in other places you might receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are likely the first thing that comes to mind when you think about solar incentives. You've likely heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. This incentive is a tax credit that reduces your taxes by a specified percentage of the money you spend on solar panels for your home.
The ITC can be applied to solar panels installed on your primary or secondary residence in the United States. The solar system must have been installed on a property you own after January 1, 2006 for you to be eligible for the credit. Initially, the ITC applied to 30% of all costs (panels, labor, accessories and equipment), although the covered amount has fluctuated slightly over time between 26-30%. The amount you qualify for will depend on when your solar system was installed. There is no cap on the claim amount.
To best understand how the ITC could apply to you, contact your local Crozet solar panel installation expert and ask for more information.
In August 2022, the Inflation Reduction Act laid out new provisions for the ITC, now dubbed the Clean Energy Credit. Homeowners can now qualify for a credit equal to 30% of the total solar system installation costs for projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed before the end of 2032. The credit percentage will then begin to decrease annually until the Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. Beginning in 2023, it will also be easier to qualify for credits for energy storage systems with the new act.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. To best understand how the new Clean Energy Credit will apply to you, speak with your local Crozet solar installation company.
State & Local Solar Incentives
There are often state solar incentives available in addition to federal ones. Tax credits, rebates and more can be offered at a more local level. Some incentives are ongoing, while others are only available for a limited time. Incentives may be given by your county or municipality, or by the Virginia government.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Crozet
Solar incentives might come from the Virginia government, the federal government or your local utility company. The growing number of solar incentives available has facilitated the nationwide growth of solar energy use in the last 15 years. Reaching out to your local Crozet solar panel installer is a great first step towards getting the most money possible when you switch to solar energy.
Best Solar Financing
Blue Raven Solar
- Industry-leading in-house financing
- Competitive pricing
- Excellent reputation
- Doesn't offer solar batteries (coming 2022)
- Price-match guarantee
- Sleek, efficient, and durable solar panels
- Best solar battery on the market
- Some reported issues with customer service
- Customer service varies by local dealer
EcoWatch's Crozet, VA Solar Incentives FAQs
Can I receive any incentives when I add solar panels to a vacation home, rental property or commercial property?
While we recommend talking to your local solar installer and/or tax professional to better understand what solar incentives apply to you, many incentives apply to a second home, provided that it is in the United States and owned by you. There may be other incentives available specifically for commercial properties, depending on the specifics.
How much can I save on my electric bill annually if I install solar panels on my Crozet home?
On average, homeowners in Crozet who install solar panels save about $947.46 per year, or about $18,001.82 over 20 years after they make the switch.
Who installs solar panels near me?
To find the right solar panel installer for you, check out our guide to Crozet's best solar panel companies.
I want to switch my appliances out for ones that are more energy-efficient. Are there any credits I can claim?
The new Inflation Reduction Act includes provisions for a number of incentives designed to reward homeowners for making eco-friendly upgrades. Some incentives include rebates and tax credits for installing new electric appliances. You can find more details about these incentives here.
Can I apply for incentives both towards the initial cost of solar panels, and later as reimbursement?
Yes, you can receive both rebates and tax credits towards the cost of solar panels. Depending on which incentives you are claiming, they may apply in a different order. Be sure to speak with your solar installer or a local tax professional to verify that you are claiming the correct incentives and that you're getting the most money you can.
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.
Solar incentive research was conducted by Melissa Smith and Karsten Neumeister. Local data analysis was conducted by James Savino. See something we missed or could do better? Email the editor.