2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Alexandria, VA - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Alexandria.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Alexandria solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Alexandria?
Income Tax Deduction for Energy-Efficient Products
Local Option- Renewable Energy Machinery and Tools Property Tax Exemption
Local Option - Residential Property Tax Exemption for Solar
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are designed to make renewable energy usage more affordable via financial incentives to help people install solar panels on their homes. Different types of incentives, including discounts, cash back or monthly utility bill credits, might be available to you. Certain incentives may be offered by the state of Virginia, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while others are federal. You might qualify for any of the following types of solar incentives:
- Net Metering: Net metering becomes relevant after your solar system is up and running. If you've signed a net metering agreement with your Alexandria utility company, the company will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your utility bill each month. In some locations, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in others you may be refunded a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Your solar system may qualify for exemptions on both sales and property tax. Sales tax exemptions come into effect at the time of purchase. Property tax exemptions let you ignore the value that solar panels add when calculating property taxes on your home.
- Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC): SRECs and other performance-based incentives are usually handled at the state level. Once your solar system meets a certain threshold (usually a small amount of energy production), you are eligible to receive SRECs that can then be sold to your utility company or other buyers. The money you receive is generally considered part of your taxable income.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in how much income tax you owe the federal government.
- Rebates: Rebates, or partial refunds after a purchase, are usually applied prior to any solar tax credits being calculated. Solar rebates can be given by your local utility company, by your state or by your county.
Federal Solar Incentives
When you hear the term "solar incentives," federal incentives might be the first thing that comes to mind. The solar incentive that you're most likely to have heard of is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which provides a credit on your taxes equal to a percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC covers solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and under this program you can deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, labor, accessories and equipment. You can receive this credit for solar panels installed on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. Originally, you could claim 30% of the total cost, although certain projects may qualify for only 26%, depending on the details. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
Your local Alexandria solar panel installer can provide you with more information about the ITC and how it applies to your situation.
In August 2022, the Inflation Reduction Act expanded and extended the ITC, now referred to as the Clean Energy Credit. For solar system installations that begin after January 1, 2022 and are completed by the end of 2032, homeowners can receive a credit for 30% of the total cost. This percentage will decrease annually after 2032 until the Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. Beginning in 2023, it will also be easier to get credits for energy storage systems with the new act.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Alexandria solar panel installation experts can answer any questions you have and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit will apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives may be provided by state and local governments. Similar to federal incentives, these might include rebates, tax credits and more. These incentives might be offered by the Virginia government, or by your county or municipality. Some are available for a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Alexandria
Solar incentives can be offered by the federal government, the Virginia government or your local utility company. The variety of available incentives has facilitated the nationwide growth of solar energy use in the last 15 years. We recommend talking to your local Alexandria solar installer for more information about these incentives and to be sure that you're getting the most money possible for your solar panels.
EcoWatch's Alexandria, VA Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.