2023 Solar Incentives Guide for White Settlement, TX - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in White Settlement.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted White Settlement solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in White Settlement?
Renewable Energy Systems Property Tax Exemption
Texas Gas Service - Residential Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
Home Improvement (includes attic insulation, duct sealing, duct insulation, duct replacement, high-efficiency gas furnace, and Wi-Fi thermostat: Up to $1000
Solar Water Heater With Natural Gas Backup: $750
Tankless or Super High-efficiency Water Heater: $650
Furnace Tune-Up: $40
Natural Gas Dryer with moisture sensor: $225
Natural Gas Dryer Stub: $300
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The phrase "solar incentives" refers broadly to financial incentives designed to encourage people to use renewable energy by making installing and using solar panels more affordable. Incentives can include things like discounts, cash back or credit on your utility bill each month. Some incentives are offered by the federal government, while others are handled by the state of Texas or by your specific utility company, county or municipality. Some broad categories of solar incentives include:
- Tax Exemptions: These may come in the form of property tax exemptions, which would allow you to exclude the value added by your solar panels when calculating the taxes you pay on your home. You could also look for exemptions on sales tax at the time of purchase.
- Net Metering: Be sure to speak with your White Settlement utility company about signing a net metering contract. This allows you to get a credit towards your monthly utility bill for the value of excess energy generated by your solar panels. You may receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Rebates: A rebate is a partial refund credited to your account after you've paid for your solar panels. These could be offered by your local utility company, your state or your county. The discount that rebates offer is normally applied to the price of solar panels before tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Credits: Unlike tax deductions, tax credits reduce, dollar-for-dollar, the amount of income tax that you owe the government.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are probably the first thing that you think of when thinking about solar incentives. You've likely heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. The ITC is a tax credit that reduces your taxes by a specified percentage of the money you spend on your solar system.
The ITC applies to the value of solar panels installed on your primary or secondary residence in the United States. The solar system has to have been installed on a property you own after January 1, 2006 for you to be eligible for the credit. Initially, the ITC applied to 30% of all installation costs (panels, equipment, accessories and labor), although the amount has fluctuated slightly over time between 26-30%. The amount you qualify for will depend on when your solar system was installed. There is no cap on the claim amount.
To more fully understand how the ITC could apply to you, call your local White Settlement solar panel installation expert and ask for more information.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, added more provisions to the ITC (as well as retitling it the Clean Energy Credit). The Clean Energy Credit has increased the current credit up to 30% for solar systems installed between 2022 and 2032. After this, the credit percentage will be reduced slightly each year until the end of the program in 2035. Starting in 2023, the program expansion will also make it easier to get credit for energy storage systems.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. To better understand how the new Clean Energy Credit might apply to you, reach out to your local White Settlement solar installation company.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are not your only option; rebates, tax credits and more are often offered at the state and local level. Some incentives are offered for only a limited time, while others are ongoing. Local solar incentives may come from the Texas government, or from your specific county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in White Settlement
You can apply for and receive solar incentives from the Texas government and the federal government, as well as from your local utility company. The growing availability of solar initiatives over the last 15 years has helped greatly increase nationwide adoption of solar energy. If you're prepared to make the switch to solar energy, getting in touch with your local White Settlement solar panel installation expert is a great first step.
EcoWatch's White Settlement, TX Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.