2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Texarkana, TX - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Texarkana.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Texarkana solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Texarkana?
Renewable Energy Systems Property Tax Exemption
Texas Gas Service - Residential Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
Home Improvement (includes attic insulation, duct sealing, duct insulation, duct replacement, high-efficiency gas furnace, and Wi-Fi thermostat: Up to $1000
Solar Water Heater With Natural Gas Backup: $750
Tankless or Super High-efficiency Water Heater: $650
Furnace Tune-Up: $40
Natural Gas Dryer with moisture sensor: $225
Natural Gas Dryer Stub: $300
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives encourage people to switch their home over to renewable energy by offering incentives that lower the financial burden of solar panel installation and use. Different types of incentives, including cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, might be available to you. Some incentives may be offered by the state of Texas, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while other incentives are federal. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Rebates: A solar rebate is a partial refund after the purchase of your solar panels. Rebates could be offered by your local utility company, your county or your state. The rebates are usually applied before tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits decrease, dollar-for-dollar, the total amount of tax you owe the federal government. These are different from tax deductions.
- Net Metering: Net metering factors in after your solar panels are up and running. If you have in place a net metering agreement with your Texarkana utility company, it will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your monthly utility bill. In some areas, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in other places you may make back a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions are effective at the point of sale for your solar panels. Property tax exemptions let you exclude the value added by your solar system when you're calculating how much property tax you need to pay on your house.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal incentives are the kind of incentives that you are most likely to have some knowledge of. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is probably the most commonly known federal solar incentive. The ITC offers a tax credit for a specific percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC applies towards solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and under this program you can deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, labor, equipment and accessories. You can receive this credit for a solar panel system installed on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. The original amount you could claim was 30% of the total cost, although certain projects may qualify for only 26%, depending on the details. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
Have questions about how the ITC applies to your specific situation? Contact your local Texarkana solar panel installation expert to get more information.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, added more provisions to the ITC (as well as retitling it the Clean Energy Credit). The Clean Energy Credit re-raises the credit up to 30% for solar systems installed between 2022 and 2032. After this, the percentage will see a slight decrease annually until the end of the program in 2035. Beginning in 2023, it will also be easier to qualify for credits for energy storage systems under the new laws.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Texarkana solar panel company is the best resource for answering your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives are often also offered at the local or state level. Like with federal incentives, these can include rebates, tax credits and more. Certain incentives are ongoing, while others are available for a limited time. Solar incentives may be given by your county or municipality, or by the Texas government.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Texarkana
Solar incentives can be provided by the federal government, the Texas government or your local utility company. The variety of incentives available has contributed to a large increase in solar energy use in the last 15 years. Call your local solar panel installation company today to discover more about the various programs and to save the most money possible on solar panels for your Texarkana home.
EcoWatch's Texarkana, TX Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.