2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Benbrook, TX - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Benbrook.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Benbrook solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Benbrook?
Renewable Energy Systems Property Tax Exemption
Texas Gas Service - Residential Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
Home Improvement (includes attic insulation, duct sealing, duct insulation, duct replacement, high-efficiency gas furnace, and Wi-Fi thermostat: Up to $1000
Solar Water Heater With Natural Gas Backup: $750
Tankless or Super High-efficiency Water Heater: $650
Furnace Tune-Up: $40
Natural Gas Dryer with moisture sensor: $225
Natural Gas Dryer Stub: $300
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The term "solar incentives" includes a range of financial incentives designed to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. You might be eligible for various kinds of incentives, such as cash back, discounts or monthly utility bill credits, depending on your situation. Certain incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the state of Texas and others from the federal government. Some broad categories of solar incentives include:
- Tax Credits: Tax credits decrease, dollar-for-dollar, how much income tax you owe the federal government. Tax credits differ from tax deductions.
- Rebates: Solar companies may help you claim a rebate, or partial refund after purchase, for your solar system. States or counties will also offer limited-time rebates at various times. Any rebates you receive will usually be deducted from your total price before tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get once your solar system is up and running. If you've signed a net metering agreement with your Benbrook utility company, they will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your monthly utility bill. In some areas, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in other places you might receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: These can come in the form of property tax exemptions, which can let you exclude the value added by your solar panels when paying property tax on your home. You may also qualify for an exemption on sales tax at the time of purchase.
Federal Solar Incentives
When people think of solar incentives, federal incentives are likely the first thing that comes to mind. You've likely heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. The ITC is a tax credit equal to a certain percentage of the money you spend on your solar system.
The ITC applies to the total cost of solar system installation, including the panels themselves as well as equipment, accessories and labor. This credit can be claimed for panels installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence that you own, as long as it is located in the United States. Originally set at 30% of total costs, the credit has fluctuated over time, and you may qualify for different amounts depending on when your project was completed. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
Your local Benbrook solar panel installation expert can provide you with more information about the ITC and how it might apply to your situation.
In August 2022, the Inflation Reduction Act made revisions to the ITC, now referred to as the Clean Energy Credit. The new Clean Energy Credit is valid until 2035. Homeowners can now apply for a 30% credit for solar systems installed between 2022 and 2032. This credit will then be decreased by a few percentage points every year until it expires. The expansion to the program also makes credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim, starting in 2023.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Benbrook solar panel company can answer your questions and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives may be provided at the state and local level. Similar to federal incentives, these may include rebates, tax credits and more. Some incentives are ongoing, while others are only available for a limited time. These incentives may be offered by your county or municipality, or by the Texas government.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Benbrook
The expanding number of solar incentives available has enormously increased the nationwide adoption of solar energy over the last 15 years. You may receive solar incentives from your local utility company, the federal government or the Texas government. When you're prepared to make the switch to solar energy, calling your local Benbrook solar panel installation expert is a great first step.
EcoWatch's Benbrook, TX Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.