2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Lake Wylie, SC - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Lake Wylie.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Lake Wylie solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Lake Wylie?
Duke Energy (Electric) - Residential Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
Geothermal Heat Pump: $400 + $50 with added smart thermostat
Heat Pump Water Heater: $350
Attic Insulation or Attic Air Sealing: $250
Duct Sealing: $100
Variable-Speed Pool Pumps: $300
Renewable Energy and Energy Storage Property Tax Exemption
Santee Cooper - Rooftop Solar Rebate Program
Solar Energy, Small Hydropower, and Geothermal Tax Credit (Corporate)
Solar Energy, Small Hydropower, and Geothermal Tax Credit (Personal)
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The phrase "solar incentives" covers a range of financial incentives implemented to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. The incentives might include cash back, upfront discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill. Some incentives are given by the federal government, some by the South Carolina government and some by your utility company, county or municipality. Some broad categories of solar incentives include:
- Rebates: A rebate is a partial refund given after you've purchased your solar panels. Rebates might be offered by your local utility company, your county or your state. The cash back that you get from the rebates is normally applied before tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Credits: Different from tax deductions, tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the federal government.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions may come in two forms. First, there is sales tax exemption, which is applied at the time you purchase your solar panels. The second is property tax exemption. This allows you to exclude the value added by your solar system when calculating property tax for your house.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get once your solar panels are up and running. If you have a net metering agreement in place with your Lake Wylie utility company, they will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your monthly utility bill. In some locations, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in others you may make back a percentage of the value.
Federal Solar Incentives
When thinking about solar incentives, you likely think of federal incentives first. The solar incentive that you may be most familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which provides a credit on your taxes equal to a specified percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC applies towards solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and allows you to deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, accessories, labor and equipment. This credit can be claimed on a solar panel system installed on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. The original claim amount was 30% of the total cost, although certain projects may qualify for only 26%, depending on the details. There is no maximum claim amount.
Your local Lake Wylie solar panel installer can provide you with more information about the ITC and how it may apply to your situation.
In August 2022, the ITC (now titled the Clean Energy Credit) was expanded and extended by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act. The Clean Energy Credit is valid until 2035. Your solar installation project undertaken between 2022 and 2032 may qualify for a 30% tax credit. This amount will then decrease slightly on a yearly basis until the end of the current program. Starting in 2023, it will also be easier to get credits for energy storage systems under this new program.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Lake Wylie solar panel company can answer any questions you have and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit may apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
In addition to federal solar incentives, there are often also state ones. Rebates, tax credits and more can be offered at a more local level. These incentives may be handled by your county or municipality, or by the South Carolina government. Certain incentives are available for a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Lake Wylie
Solar incentives might be offered by the South Carolina government, the federal government or your local utility company. The variety of incentives available has helped nationwide use of solar energy increase greatly in the last 15 years. We suggest talking to your local Lake Wylie solar installation expert for more information about these incentives and to ensure that you're getting the most money possible for your solar panels.
EcoWatch's Lake Wylie, SC Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.