2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Willowick, OH - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Willowick.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Willowick solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Willowick?
Hamilton County - Home Improvement Program
Local Option - Special Energy Improvement Districts
Energy Conservation for Ohioans (ECO-Link) Program
Solar Renewable Energy Certificates Program (SRECs)
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The term "solar incentives" covers a wide range of financial incentives designed to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. Different kinds of incentives, like cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, may be available to you. Certain incentives may be provided via the state of Ohio, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while others are federal. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Rebates: Rebates, or partial refunds after a purchase, are normally applied prior to any solar tax credits being calculated. These rebates can be given by your local utility company, by your state or by your county.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions can come in one of two forms. First, there is sales tax exemption, applied when you purchase solar panels. The second is property tax exemption. This allows you to exclude the value added by your solar system when calculating property tax for your home.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the government. (This is different from a tax deduction.)
- Net Metering: Net metering factors in once your solar panels are up and running. If you've signed a net metering agreement with your Willowick utility company, it will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your utility bill each month. In some locations, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in other places you may receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
- Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC): In most cases, solar systems that produce more than a predetermined (generally small) amount of electricity qualify for SRECs or other similar performance-based incentives. SRECs and performance-based incentives in general are typically offered at the state level. SRECs can be sold to your utility company or another buyer, and generally the money you make is normally considered part of your taxable income.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are likely the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about solar incentives. The solar incentive that you're most likely to have heard of is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which gives you a credit on your taxes equal to a specified percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC applies to a solar system installed on your primary or secondary residence in the United States. The solar system must have been installed after January 1, 2006 on a property owned by you for you to claim the credit. Initially, the ITC applied to 30% of all system installation costs (panels, labor, accessories and equipment), although the amount has fluctuated slightly over the last few years between 26-30%. The amount you qualify for will depend on when your solar system was installed. There is no cap on the claim amount.
Contacting your local Willowick solar panel installation expert is the best way to understand how the ITC could apply to your situation.
In August 2022, the ITC (now called the Clean Energy Credit) was bolstered by the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act. For solar systems installed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032, homeowners can receive a credit for 30% of the total cost. This percentage will decrease annually after 2032 until the Clean Energy Credit ends in 2035. Starting in 2023, the expansion will also make credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Willowick solar panel installation expert is the best person to answer your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives may be offered at the local or state level. Like with federal incentives, these can include tax credits, rebates and more. Some incentives are ongoing, while others might only be available for a limited time. These incentives might be provided by the Ohio government, or by your county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Willowick
Nationwide solar energy use has significantly increased in the past 15 years, in part thanks to the increase in availability of solar incentives. You can obtain these incentives from your local utility company, the federal government or the Ohio government. It is a good idea to talk to your local Willowick solar installation company to learn more about these incentives and to be sure that you're getting the largest number possible for your solar system.
EcoWatch's Willowick, OH Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.