2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Avon, OH - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Avon.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Avon solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Avon?
Hamilton County - Home Improvement Program
Local Option - Special Energy Improvement Districts
Energy Conservation for Ohioans (ECO-Link) Program
Solar Renewable Energy Certificates Program (SRECs)
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are designed to make renewable energy usage more affordable through financial incentives for those who install solar panels on their homes. You might qualify for several types of incentives, such as cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, depending on your situation. Some incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the state of Ohio and others from the federal government. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Tax Credits: These credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in how much income tax you owe the government.
- Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC): SRECs can be sold to your utility company (or other buyers) for cash that typically becomes part of your taxable income. Generally, you must meet a certain (small) threshold of energy production before your solar system can earn SRECs or other performance-based incentives. SRECs and similar incentives are normally handled by your state government.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions can come in one of two forms. First, there is sales tax exemption, which is applied when you purchase solar panels. The second is property tax exemption, which allows you to exclude the added value of your solar system when calculating property tax for your home.
- Net Metering: You can sign a net metering agreement with your Avon utility company. This agreement may apply to all or a percentage of the excess electricity your solar panels generate. Your utility company will then deduct this value from your utility bill each month.
- Rebates: Solar rebates can be provided by your local utility company, or by your state or county. These rebates work as cash back that is applied after you purchase a solar system and before tax credits are calculated.
Federal Solar Incentives
When thinking about solar incentives, federal incentives are likely the first thing that comes to mind. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is probably the best-known federal solar incentive. The ITC offers a tax credit for a predetermined percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC was originally for 30% of the total cost of installing a solar system, although it has fluctuated slightly over the years between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you qualify for. The total cost of installation includes the panels themselves as well as the cost of accessories, labor and equipment. There is no maximum amount you can claim. The ITC can be applied to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 on your primary or secondary residence. The residence must be in the United States and owned by you.
To better understand exactly how much money the ITC could save you, speak with your local Avon solar panel installation expert.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, added more provisions to the ITC (as well as renaming it to the Clean Energy Credit). The Clean Energy Credit is valid until 2035. Your solar installation project undertaken between 2022 and 2032 may qualify for a 30% tax credit. The amount will then decrease slightly on a yearly basis until the current program ends. Starting in 2023, the program expansion will also make claiming credit for energy storage systems easier than ever before.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Avon solar panel installer can answer your questions and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit may apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives are often also provided at the state and local level. Similar to federal incentives, these may include rebates, tax credits and more. Certain incentives are ongoing, while others are offered for only a limited time. Your local solar incentives might come from the Ohio government, or from your specific county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Avon
There are many kinds of solar incentives: those offered by the federal government, those offered by the Ohio government and those offered by local utility companies, to name a few. Solar energy utilization has grown enormously in the last 15 years, partially due to these incentives. If you're prepared to switch over to solar energy, calling your local Avon solar panel installation expert is a great first step.
EcoWatch's Avon, OH Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.