2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Pomfret, NY - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Pomfret.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Pomfret solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Pomfret?
State of NY Commercial PACE Financing Program
Residential Solar Tax Credit
Refundable Clean Heating Fuel Tax Credit (Corporate)
Residential Wood Heating Fuel Exemption
Local Option - Solar Sales Tax Exemption
Solar Sales Tax Exemption
Local Option - Real Property Tax Exemption for Green Buildings
Energy Conservation Improvements Property Tax Exemption
Local Option - Solar, Wind & Biomass Energy Systems Exemption
NY-Sun PV Incentive Program (Residential, Low-Income, and Small Business)
Long Island Region: $0.00/W (MW blocks have been fully subscribed)
Con Edison Region: $0.30/W
Upstate Region: $0.35/W
Low-to-Moderate income customers: $0.80/W (up to 10 kW)
Small Commercial (Non-Residential): Long Island Region: $0.00/W (MW blocks have been fully subscribed)
Con Edison Region: $0.60/W
Up State Region: $0.45/W
Multifamily Affordable Housing Adder: additional $0.40/W (up to 50 kW)
Ground Source Heat Pump Rebate Program
Large Systems (> 10 cooling tons): $1,200/cooling ton
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR
NY Green Bank
Refundable Clean Heating Fuel Tax Credit (Personal)
On-Site Wind Incentive Program
Tier II: 10,000 kWh - 125,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $1.00/annual kWh
Tier III: 125,000 kWh - 1,000,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $0.30/ annual kWh
Tier IV: Greater than 1,000,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $0.15/ annual kWh
These incentives are additive.
Anaerobic Digester Gas-to-Electricity Rebate and Performance Incentive
- Capacity Incentive: Varies on the construction and design of the system
- Performance Incentive: $0.025/kWh production payment for new systems for up to 10 years (estimated using a capacity factor of 75%)
- Interconnection Incentive: up to 75% of the costs exceeding $5,000
- Project Enhancement Incentives: Available for Black Start Capability, Hydrogen Sulfide reduction, design for accepting food waste and others
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are designed to encourage people to switch their home over to renewable energy by offering incentives meant to lower the financial burden of solar panel installation and use. Solar incentives may include cash back, upfront discounts or monthly credits towards your utility bill. Some incentives are given by the federal government, some by the state of New York and some by your utility company, county or municipality. Some broad categories of solar incentives include:
- Net Metering: Don't forget to speak with your Pomfret utility company about signing a net metering agreement. This allows you to receive credit towards your utility bill every month for the value of excess energy your solar panels generate. You may receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits decrease, dollar-for-dollar, the amount of income tax you owe the federal government. These differ from tax deductions.
- Rebates: A rebate is a partial refund credited to your account after you've paid for your solar panels. These could be offered by your local utility company, your county or your state. The rebates are usually applied before tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions may come in two forms. First, there is sales tax exemption, which is applied when you purchase solar panels. The second is property tax exemption, which allows you to ignore the added value of your solar system when calculating property tax for your house.
Federal Solar Incentives
When thinking about solar incentives, federal incentives may be the first thing that comes to mind. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is likely the best-known federal solar incentive. The ITC provides you with a tax credit for a specific percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC was originally for 30% of the cost of installing a solar system, although that number has fluctuated slightly over time between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you qualify for. The cost of installation includes the panels themselves as well as the cost of labor, equipment and accessories. There is no maximum claim amount. The ITC applies to solar panels installed after January 1, 2006 on your primary or secondary residence. The residence must be in the United States and owned by you.
Wondering how the ITC applies to your specific situation? Reach out to your local Pomfret solar panel installation expert to get more information.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, added more provisions to the ITC (as well as renaming it to the Clean Energy Credit). The Clean Energy Credit has increased the current credit up to 30% for solar systems installed between 2022 and 2032. At this point, the credit percentage will decrease slightly each year until the end of the program in 2035. Beginning in 2023, it will also be easier to get credits for energy storage systems under the new laws.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. To understand how the new Clean Energy Credit might apply to you, reach out to your local Pomfret solar installers.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives may be offered at the local or state level. Similar to federal incentives, these may include tax credits, rebates and more. Certain incentives are ongoing, while others are available for a limited time. They might be given by your county or municipality, or by the New York government.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Pomfret
Solar energy use nationwide has significantly increased in the last 15 years, in part due to the increase in availability of solar incentives. You can obtain these incentives from the federal government, the New York government or your local utility company. Speaking with your local Pomfret solar panel installation company is the best first step towards making sure you get all the incentives you qualify for when you switch to solar energy.
EcoWatch's Pomfret, NY Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.