Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Henrietta?
State of NY Commercial PACE Financing Program
Residential Solar Tax Credit
Refundable Clean Heating Fuel Tax Credit (Corporate)
NY-Sun Loan Program
Small Business and Not-for-Profit Organizations:
Participation Loans: up to $100,000 (at low interest rate)
On-Bill Recovery loans: $50,000 at 2%
Residential Wood Heating Fuel Exemption
Local Option - Solar Sales Tax Exemption
Solar Sales Tax Exemption
Local Option - Real Property Tax Exemption for Green Buildings
Energy Conservation Improvements Property Tax Exemption
Local Option - Solar, Wind & Biomass Energy Systems Exemption
NY-Sun PV Incentive Program (Residential, Low-Income, and Small Business)
Long Island Region: $0.00/W (MW blocks have been fully subscribed)
Con Edison Region: $0.30/W
Upstate Region: $0.35/W
Low-to-Moderate income customers: $0.80/W (up to 10 kW)
Small Commercial (Non-Residential): Long Island Region: $0.00/W (MW blocks have been fully subscribed)
Con Edison Region: $0.60/W
Up State Region: $0.45/W
Multifamily Affordable Housing Adder: additional $0.40/W (up to 50 kW)
Ground Source Heat Pump Rebate Program
Large Systems (> 10 cooling tons): $1,200/cooling ton
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR
NY Green Bank
Refundable Clean Heating Fuel Tax Credit (Personal)
On-Site Wind Incentive Program
Tier II: 10,000 kWh - 125,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $1.00/annual kWh
Tier III: 125,000 kWh - 1,000,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $0.30/ annual kWh
Tier IV: Greater than 1,000,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $0.15/ annual kWh
These incentives are additive.
Anaerobic Digester Gas-to-Electricity Rebate and Performance Incentive
- Capacity Incentive: Varies on the construction and design of the system
- Performance Incentive: $0.025/kWh production payment for new systems for up to 10 years (estimated using a capacity factor of 75%)
- Interconnection Incentive: up to 75% of the costs exceeding $5,000
- Project Enhancement Incentives: Available for Black Start Capability, Hydrogen Sulfide reduction, design for accepting food waste and others
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives help mitigate the cost of installing a solar panel system on your home. This category of financial incentives is intended to encourage more Americans to switch to renewable energy. Incentives can include things like discounts, cash back or credit on your utility bill each month. Some incentives are offered by the federal government, while others are handled by the state of New York or your specific utility company, county or municipality. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Rebates: A solar rebate is a partial refund credited to your account after you've paid for your solar system. These could be offered by your local utility company, your state or your county. The cash back that you get from the rebates is normally applied before calculating tax credits.
- Net Metering: You may be able to sign a net metering agreement with your Henrietta utility company that will apply to all or a percentage of the excess electricity that is generated by your solar panels. They will then subtract this value from your utility bill each month.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions that lower the amount of income tax you owe the federal government. (A tax credit is different from a tax deduction.)
- Tax Exemptions: Your solar system could qualify for exemptions on both sales and property tax. Sales tax exemptions come into effect at the time of purchase. Property tax exemptions let you exclude the value added by your solar panels when you are calculating property taxes on your home.
Federal Solar Incentives
When you think about solar incentives, you probably think of federal incentives first. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is probably the most well-known federal solar incentive. The ITC offers a tax credit for a specific percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC is applied to the total cost of installing solar panels, including the panels themselves as well as equipment, labor and accessories. You can claim this credit for panels installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence located in the United States that you own. Originally set at 30% of total costs, the credit has fluctuated over time, and you may qualify for different amounts depending on when your project was completed. There is no maximum claim amount.
To know exactly how much money the ITC could save you, speak with your local Henrietta solar panel installer.
The ITC was renewed and increased in scope after the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act in August 2022. It's also now called the Clean Energy Credit. The Clean Energy Credit is valid until 2035. Your solar installation project undertaken between 2022 and 2032 may qualify for a 30% tax credit; the amount will be decreased slightly each year until the current program ends. The program expansion also makes claiming credit for energy storage systems easier than ever before, beginning in 2023.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Henrietta solar panel installation expert is the best person to answer your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it will apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Not all solar incentives are federal; tax credits, rebates and more are often offered at the state and local level. Some incentives are ongoing, while others might only be available for a limited time. They may be offered by your county or municipality, or by the New York government.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Henrietta
The large number of solar incentives available has contributed greatly to the increase in the adoption of solar energy nationwide over the past 15 years. You may receive solar incentives from the New York government, the federal government or your local utility company. When you're ready to switch over to solar energy, getting in touch with your local Henrietta solar panel installation expert is a great first step.
EcoWatch's Henrietta, NY Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.