2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Dunkirk, NY - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Dunkirk.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Dunkirk solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Dunkirk?
State of NY Commercial PACE Financing Program
Residential Solar Tax Credit
Refundable Clean Heating Fuel Tax Credit (Corporate)
Residential Wood Heating Fuel Exemption
Local Option - Solar Sales Tax Exemption
Solar Sales Tax Exemption
Local Option - Real Property Tax Exemption for Green Buildings
Energy Conservation Improvements Property Tax Exemption
Local Option - Solar, Wind & Biomass Energy Systems Exemption
NY-Sun PV Incentive Program (Residential, Low-Income, and Small Business)
Long Island Region: $0.00/W (MW blocks have been fully subscribed)
Con Edison Region: $0.30/W
Upstate Region: $0.35/W
Low-to-Moderate income customers: $0.80/W (up to 10 kW)
Small Commercial (Non-Residential): Long Island Region: $0.00/W (MW blocks have been fully subscribed)
Con Edison Region: $0.60/W
Up State Region: $0.45/W
Multifamily Affordable Housing Adder: additional $0.40/W (up to 50 kW)
Ground Source Heat Pump Rebate Program
Large Systems (> 10 cooling tons): $1,200/cooling ton
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR
NY Green Bank
Refundable Clean Heating Fuel Tax Credit (Personal)
On-Site Wind Incentive Program
Tier II: 10,000 kWh - 125,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $1.00/annual kWh
Tier III: 125,000 kWh - 1,000,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $0.30/ annual kWh
Tier IV: Greater than 1,000,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $0.15/ annual kWh
These incentives are additive.
Anaerobic Digester Gas-to-Electricity Rebate and Performance Incentive
- Capacity Incentive: Varies on the construction and design of the system
- Performance Incentive: $0.025/kWh production payment for new systems for up to 10 years (estimated using a capacity factor of 75%)
- Interconnection Incentive: up to 75% of the costs exceeding $5,000
- Project Enhancement Incentives: Available for Black Start Capability, Hydrogen Sulfide reduction, design for accepting food waste and others
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives help mitigate the cost of installing a solar panel system on your home. These financial incentives are intended to encourage more homeowners to switch to renewable energy. You might be eligible for several kinds of incentives, including cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, depending on your situation. Some incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the New York government and others from the federal government. Some broad categories of solar incentives include:
- Net Metering: Net metering factors in after your solar panels are up and running. If you have a net metering agreement in place with your Dunkirk utility company, the company will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your utility bill each month. In some locations, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in others you may receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
- Tax Credits: These credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in how much income tax you owe the federal government.
- Tax Exemptions: Your solar panels may qualify for both sales tax and property tax exemptions. Sales tax exemptions are applied at the time of purchase. Property tax exemptions let you exclude the value that solar panels add when you are calculating property taxes on your house.
- Rebates: A rebate is a partial refund credited to your account after you've paid for your solar system. Rebates could be offered by your local utility company, your state or your county. The cash back that you get from the rebates is normally applied before tax credits are calculated.
Federal Solar Incentives
When you think about solar incentives, you likely think of federal incentives first. A federal incentive that most people are probably familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC). This is a tax credit for a specified percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC applies to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. The credit initially covered 30% of the total cost — for panels, accessories, labor and equipment — although it may range from 26-30%, depending on when your solar project was undertaken. There is no cap on the claim amount.
Reaching out to your local Dunkirk solar panel installation expert is the best way to understand how the ITC could apply to your situation.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, expanded and extended the ITC (as well as retitling it the Clean Energy Credit). Under the new program, solar installation projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed by the end of 2032 might qualify for a 30% tax credit. This percentage will then see a slight annual decrease until the current Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. Starting in 2023, the program expansion will also make it easier to get credit for energy storage systems.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Dunkirk solar panel installation experts can answer your questions and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit will apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives may be provided by state and local governments. Like with federal incentives, these may include rebates, tax credits and more. Certain incentives are ongoing, while others are available for a limited time. Solar incentives may be provided by your county or municipality, or by the New York government.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Dunkirk
There are many kinds of solar incentives: those offered by the federal government, those offered by the New York government and those offered by local utility companies, to name a few. Solar energy use has increased enormously in the last 15 years, thanks to these incentives. Your local Dunkirk solar panel installation company can provide you with more details about which incentives you should apply for, and get you started on the path to switching to renewable energy today.
EcoWatch's Dunkirk, NY Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.