2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Coxsackie, NY - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Coxsackie.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Coxsackie solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Coxsackie?
State of NY Commercial PACE Financing Program
Residential Solar Tax Credit
Refundable Clean Heating Fuel Tax Credit (Corporate)
NY-Sun Loan Program
Small Business and Not-for-Profit Organizations:
Participation Loans: up to $100,000 (at low interest rate)
On-Bill Recovery loans: $50,000 at 2%
Residential Wood Heating Fuel Exemption
Local Option - Solar Sales Tax Exemption
Solar Sales Tax Exemption
Local Option - Real Property Tax Exemption for Green Buildings
Energy Conservation Improvements Property Tax Exemption
Local Option - Solar, Wind & Biomass Energy Systems Exemption
NY-Sun PV Incentive Program (Residential, Low-Income, and Small Business)
Long Island Region: $0.00/W (MW blocks have been fully subscribed)
Con Edison Region: $0.30/W
Upstate Region: $0.35/W
Low-to-Moderate income customers: $0.80/W (up to 10 kW)
Small Commercial (Non-Residential): Long Island Region: $0.00/W (MW blocks have been fully subscribed)
Con Edison Region: $0.60/W
Up State Region: $0.45/W
Multifamily Affordable Housing Adder: additional $0.40/W (up to 50 kW)
Ground Source Heat Pump Rebate Program
Large Systems (> 10 cooling tons): $1,200/cooling ton
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR
NY Green Bank
Refundable Clean Heating Fuel Tax Credit (Personal)
On-Site Wind Incentive Program
Tier II: 10,000 kWh - 125,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $1.00/annual kWh
Tier III: 125,000 kWh - 1,000,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $0.30/ annual kWh
Tier IV: Greater than 1,000,000 kWh of expected annual energy production: $0.15/ annual kWh
These incentives are additive.
Anaerobic Digester Gas-to-Electricity Rebate and Performance Incentive
- Capacity Incentive: Varies on the construction and design of the system
- Performance Incentive: $0.025/kWh production payment for new systems for up to 10 years (estimated using a capacity factor of 75%)
- Interconnection Incentive: up to 75% of the costs exceeding $5,000
- Project Enhancement Incentives: Available for Black Start Capability, Hydrogen Sulfide reduction, design for accepting food waste and others
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are meant to encourage people to switch their home over to renewable energy by offering incentives meant to lower the financial burden of solar panel installation and use. Different kinds of incentives, including cash back, discounts or monthly utility bill credits, may be available to you. Certain incentives may be provided via the state of New York, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while other incentives are federal. Some broad categories of solar incentives include:
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions can come in one of two forms. The first is sales tax exemption, applied at the time you purchase your solar panels. The second is property tax exemption, which allows you to exclude the added value of your solar system when paying property tax on your house.
- Rebates: A rebate is a partial refund given after you've purchased your solar panels. These could be offered by your local utility company, your state or your county. The cash back that you get from the rebates is normally applied before calculating tax credits.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get after your solar panels are up and running. If you've signed a net metering agreement with your Coxsackie utility company, it will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your utility bill each month. In some locations, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in others you may get refunded a percentage of the value.
- Tax Credits: These credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in how much income tax you owe the government.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are probably the first thing that you think of when you think about solar incentives. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is probably the most well-known federal solar incentive. The ITC offers a tax credit for a specific percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC applies to the total cost of solar system installation, including the panels themselves as well as accessories, equipment and labor. This credit can be claimed for panels installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence located in the United States that you own. From its original value of 30% of the total cost, the credit has fluctuated slightly between 26-30%, and you may qualify for varying percentages depending on when your project was completed. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
Wondering how the ITC applies to your specific situation? Contact your local Coxsackie solar panel installation expert to get more information.
In August 2022, the ITC (now called the Clean Energy Credit) was expanded and extended by the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act. For solar systems installed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032, homeowners can receive a credit for 30% of the total cost. This percentage will decrease annually after 2032 until the Clean Energy Credit ends in 2035. Beginning in 2023, it will also be easier to obtain credits for energy storage systems under this new program.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Coxsackie solar panel company is the best resource for answering your questions regarding the new Clean Energy Credit and how it will apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives may be provided by state and local governments. Like with federal incentives, these might include rebates, tax credits and more. Incentives may be offered by your county or municipality, or by the state of New York. Some incentives are available for only a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Coxsackie
There are many types of solar incentives: those provided by the federal government, those provided by the New York government and those provided by local utility companies, to name a few. Solar energy utilization has increased tremendously in the last 15 years, partially due to these incentives. Your local Coxsackie solar panel installer can provide you with more details about which incentives you might qualify for, and get you started on the path to switching to renewable energy today.
EcoWatch's Coxsackie, NY Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.