2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Silver City, NM - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Silver City.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Silver City solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Silver City?
Property Tax Exemption for Residential Solar Systems
Solar Energy Gross Receipts Tax Deduction
Geothermal Heat Pump Tax Credit (Personal)
Geothermal Heat Pump Tax Credit (Corporate)
PNM - Performance-Based Solar Program
Local Option - Renewable Energy Financing District/Solar Energy Improvement Special Assessments
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are designed to make renewable energy usage more affordable through financial incentives to help people install solar panels on their homes. These incentives may include cash back, upfront discounts or monthly credits towards your utility bill. Some incentives are handled by the federal government, some by the state of New Mexico and some by your utility company, county or municipality. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Rebates: Some solar companies will help you claim a rebate, or partial refund of your purchase, for your solar panels. Counties or states will also offer limited-time rebates at various times. The value of a rebate will usually come off the total price before any tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: Don't forget to speak to your Silver City utility company about signing a net metering agreement. This allows you to receive credit towards your utility bill every month for the value of excess energy generated by your solar panels. You might receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Your solar panel system may qualify for exemptions on both sales and property tax. Sales tax exemptions are effective at the time of purchase. Property tax exemptions allow you to ignore the added value of the solar panels when calculating property taxes on your house.
- Tax Credits: Unlike tax deductions, tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the government.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are likely to be the first thing that you think of when you think about solar incentives. The solar incentive that you're most likely to have heard of is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which gives you a credit on your taxes equal to a specified percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC can be applied to a solar system installed on your primary or secondary residence in the United States. The solar system has to have been installed after January 1, 2006 on a property you own for you to be eligible for the credit. Initially, the ITC applied to 30% of all system installation costs (panels, accessories, equipment and labor), although the covered amount has fluctuated over the last few years between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you are eligible for. There is no cap on the amount you can claim.
Your local Silver City solar panel installation expert can offer more information about the ITC and how it may apply to your situation.
The ITC was both renewed and expanded by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act in August 2022. It's also now called the Clean Energy Credit. The Clean Energy Credit has increased the current credit up to 30% for solar installations undertaken between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032. After 2032, the credit percentage will see a slight decrease annually until the program expires in 2035. Beginning in 2023, it will also be easier to get credits for energy storage systems under the new laws.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. The easiest way to fully understand how the new Clean Energy Credit might apply to you is to get in touch with your local Silver City solar panel installers.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives are often also offered at the local or state level. As with federal incentives, these could include tax credits, rebates and more. Some incentives are ongoing, while others are offered for only a limited time. Local solar incentives might come from the New Mexico government, or from your specific county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Silver City
Solar incentives can be offered by your local utility company, the federal government or the New Mexico government. The variety of available incentives has facilitated the nationwide growth of solar energy use in the last 15 years. Call your local solar panel installation company today to find out more information and to save the most money possible on a solar system for your Silver City home.
EcoWatch's Silver City, NM Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.