2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Corrales, NM - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Corrales.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Corrales solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Corrales?
Property Tax Exemption for Residential Solar Systems
Solar Energy Gross Receipts Tax Deduction
Geothermal Heat Pump Tax Credit (Personal)
Geothermal Heat Pump Tax Credit (Corporate)
PNM - Performance-Based Solar Program
Local Option - Renewable Energy Financing District/Solar Energy Improvement Special Assessments
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The term "solar incentives" refers to a range of financial incentives designed to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. You might qualify for different types of incentives, including cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, depending on your situation. Certain incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the state of New Mexico and others from the federal government. You might qualify for any of the following types of solar incentives:
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the federal government. (This is different from a tax deduction.)
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions go into effect at the time of purchase for your solar panels. Property tax exemptions allow you to exclude the added value of your solar system when you're calculating the amount of property tax you need to pay on your house.
- Rebates: Your solar installer might help you claim a rebate, or partial refund after purchase, for your solar panels. Counties or states will also offer limited-time rebates at various times. Any rebates you receive will usually be deducted from your total price before any tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: Make sure you speak to your Corrales utility company about signing a net metering contract. This will allow you to receive credit towards your utility bill every month for the value of excess energy generated by your solar panels. You may receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are likely the first thing that you think of when thinking about solar incentives. You've likely heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. The ITC is a tax credit equal to a certain percentage of the money you spend on your solar system.
The ITC can be applied to a solar system installed on your primary or secondary residence in the United States. The solar system must have been installed after January 1, 2006 on a property you own for you to be eligible for the credit. The ITC originally paid out 30% of all installation costs (panels, accessories, labor and equipment), although the amount has fluctuated slightly over the years between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you are eligible for. There is no cap on the claim amount.
Contacting your local Corrales solar panel installer is the best way to understand how the ITC applies to you.
In August 2022, the ITC (now titled the Clean Energy Credit) was bolstered by the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act. The Clean Energy Credit re-raises the credit up to 30% for solar installations undertaken between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032. After 2032, the credit percentage will see a slight decrease annually until the program expires in 2035. The expansion to the program also makes credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim, beginning in 2023.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Corrales solar panel installers are the best people to answer your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it may apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives are often also provided at the state and local level. Similar to federal incentives, these might include rebates, tax credits and more. Some incentives are ongoing, while others may only be available for a limited time. Incentives may be offered by the New Mexico government, or by your county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Corrales
The large number of available solar incentives has helped tremendously increase the adoption of solar energy nationwide over the last 15 years. You can get solar incentives from your local utility company, the New Mexico government or the federal government. Reaching out to your local Corrales solar panel installation company is the best first step towards getting all the incentives you qualify for when you switch to solar energy.
EcoWatch's Corrales, NM Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.