2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Anthony, NM - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Anthony.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Anthony solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Anthony?
Property Tax Exemption for Residential Solar Systems
Solar Energy Gross Receipts Tax Deduction
Geothermal Heat Pump Tax Credit (Personal)
Geothermal Heat Pump Tax Credit (Corporate)
Local Option - Renewable Energy Financing District/Solar Energy Improvement Special Assessments
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The phrase "solar incentives" refers to a wide range of financial incentives designed to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. Incentives might include things like discounts, cash back or monthly utility bill credits. Some incentives are handled federally, while others are provided by the state of New Mexico or by your specific utility company, county or municipality. Categories of solar incentives include:
- Rebates: Solar rebates might be offered by your county or state, or by your local utility company. These rebates work as cash back that is applied after you purchase a solar system and before tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Exemptions: These can come in the form of property tax exemptions, which can let you exclude the value added by your solar panels when calculating the taxes you pay on your home. You may also qualify for an exemption on sales tax at the time of purchase.
- Net Metering: Net metering factors in after your solar system is up and running. If you've signed a net metering agreement with your Anthony utility company, they will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your monthly utility bill. In some areas, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in other places you may receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in the amount of tax that you owe the federal government.
Federal Solar Incentives
When thinking about solar incentives, you probably think of federal incentives first. A federal incentive many people are likely to be familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC). The ITC is a tax credit for a given percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC originally covered 30% of the cost of installing solar panels, although it has fluctuated slightly over the years between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you qualify for. The total installation cost includes the panels themselves as well as the cost of accessories, labor and equipment. There is no maximum claim amount. The ITC applies to solar panels installed after January 1, 2006 on your primary or secondary residence. The residence must be owned by you and in the United States.
To better understand how the ITC will apply to you, reach out to your local Anthony solar panel installer and ask for more information.
The ITC was both renewed and expanded by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act in August 2022. It's also now called the Clean Energy Credit. For solar systems installed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032, homeowners can receive a credit for 30% of the total cost. The percentage will then decrease annually until the Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. Starting in 2023, the program expansion will also make credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Anthony solar panel company is the best resource for answering your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Not all solar incentives are federal; rebates, tax credits and more might also be offered at the local or state level. Certain incentives are ongoing, while others are only available for a limited time. Solar incentives might be given by your county or municipality, or by the New Mexico government.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Anthony
You can apply for and receive solar incentives from the federal government and the New Mexico government, as well as from your local utility company. This increase in availability of solar initiatives in the past 15 years has helped increase nationwide solar energy use enormously. Speak with your local solar panel installation company today to discover more about the various programs and to save as much money as possible on solar panels for your Anthony home.
EcoWatch's Anthony, NM Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.