2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Berlin, NH - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Berlin.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Berlin solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Berlin?
Local Option - Property Tax Exemption for Renewable Energy and Electrical Energy Storage
Residential Small Renewable Energy Rebate Program
Eversource - Residential Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
LED Light Fixture: $5
Heating/Cooling Equipment: Up to $400
Heat Pump Water Heaters: Up to $600
Clothes Dryers: up to $200
Clothes Washer: Up to $50
ENERGY STAR Homes: $4,000
Natural Gas Heating Equipment: Up to $1,500
Natural Gas thermostats: Up to $100
Pool Pumps: Up to $500
Refrigerator and Freezer Recycling: $30
Refrigerators: Up to $75
Room Air Conditioner: $20
Room Air Purifiers: $40
Residential Solar Water Heating Rebates
Residential Bulk-Fed Wood-Pellet Central Boilers and Furnace Rebate Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are designed to make renewable energy usage more affordable through financial incentives for individuals who install solar panels on their homes. These incentives can include cash back, upfront discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill. Some incentives are provided by the federal government, some by the New Hampshire government and some by your utility company, county or municipality. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions are applied at the time of purchase for your solar system. Property tax exemptions let you exclude the value added by your solar system when you calculate the amount of property tax you need to pay.
- Net Metering: Be sure to speak with your Berlin utility company about signing a net metering contract. This will allow you to get a credit towards your utility bill every month for the value of excess energy your solar panels generate. You could receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Tax Credits: These credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in the amount of tax that you owe the government.
- Rebates: Your solar installer might help you claim a rebate, or partial refund of your purchase, for your solar system. States or counties will also offer limited-time rebates at various times. If you receive a rebate, that amount will usually come off the total price before tax credits are calculated.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are likely to be the first thing that you think of when thinking about solar incentives. The solar incentive that you may be most familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which gives you a credit on your taxes equal to a percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC applies to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence in the United States that you own. Initially, the credit applied to 30% of the total cost — for panels, equipment, accessories and labor — although the percentage may range from 26-30%, depending on the installation date of your solar system. There is no cap on the claim amount.
Your local Berlin solar panel installer can provide you with more information about the ITC and how it may apply to your situation.
The ITC was both renewed and expanded by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act in August 2022. It's also now called the Clean Energy Credit. For solar systems installed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032, homeowners may be eligible for a credit equal to 30% of the total cost. After 2033, the percentage will decrease annually until the Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. The expansion also makes credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim, beginning in 2023.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Berlin solar panel installers are the best people to answer your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it may apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives may be provided by state and local governments. As with federal incentives, these can include rebates, tax credits and more. Some incentives are ongoing, while others are available for a limited time. Incentives may be offered by your county or municipality, or by the New Hampshire government.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Berlin
Solar incentives can come from the New Hampshire government, the federal government or your local utility company. The variety of available solar incentives has contributed to a large increase in solar energy use in the last 15 years. When you're ready to switch over to solar energy, reaching out to your local Berlin solar panel installation expert is an excellent place to start.
EcoWatch's Berlin, NH Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.