2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Ferndale, MI - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Ferndale.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Ferndale solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Ferndale?
Michigan Saves - Home Energy Loan Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The term "solar incentives" includes a wide range of financial incentives designed to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. The incentives might include upfront discounts, cash back or monthly credits towards your utility bill. Some incentives are offered by the federal government, some by the Michigan government and some by your utility company, county or municipality. You might qualify for any of the following types of solar incentives:
- Net Metering: Net metering becomes relevant after your solar panels are up and running. If you have a net metering agreement with your Ferndale utility company, the company will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your monthly utility bill. In some areas, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in others you may receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions can come in one of two forms. First, there is sales tax exemption, which is applied when you purchase solar panels. The second is property tax exemption, which allows you to ignore the added value of your solar system when paying property tax on your home.
- Tax Credits: Different from tax deductions, tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the federal government.
- Rebates: Solar companies may help you claim a rebate, or partial refund of your purchase, for your solar system. Counties or states will also offer limited-time rebates at various times. The value of a rebate will usually be deducted from your total price before any tax credits are calculated.
Federal Solar Incentives
When thinking about solar incentives, federal incentives are likely the first thing that comes to mind. The solar incentive that you may be most familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which provides a credit on your taxes equal to a certain percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC originally covered 30% of the total cost of solar panel installation, although it has fluctuated slightly over the last few years between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you qualify for. The total installation cost includes the panels themselves as well as the cost of labor, accessories and equipment. There is no maximum amount you can claim. The ITC can be applied to solar panels installed after January 1, 2006 on your primary or secondary residence. The residence must be owned by you and in the United States.
Your local Ferndale solar panel installation expert can provide you with more information about the ITC and how it might apply to your situation.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, made some changes to the ITC (as well as renaming it to the Clean Energy Credit). The new Clean Energy Credit extends until 2035. You can now receive a 30% credit for solar systems that began installation after January 1, 2022 and are completed by the end of 2032. The total credit will then see a slight annual decrease until the date of expiration. Beginning in 2023, it will also be easier to claim credits for energy storage systems under the new laws.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Ferndale solar panel company can answer any questions you have and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit will apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are not your only option; rebates, tax credits and more might also be offered at the local or state level. Some incentives are ongoing, while others are offered for only a limited time. Local solar incentives may come from the Michigan government, or from your specific county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Ferndale
You can receive solar incentives from the Michigan government and the federal government, as well as from your local utility company. The increased availability of solar initiatives in the past 15 years has helped increase nationwide solar energy use enormously. Your local Ferndale solar panel installer can provide you with more details about which incentives you can apply for, and get you feeling good about making the change to renewable energy today.
EcoWatch's Ferndale, MI Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.