2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Plaquemine, LA - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Plaquemine.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Plaquemine solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Plaquemine?
Solar Energy System Exemption
Home Energy Loan Program (HELP)
New Orleans City - Energy Smart Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The term "solar incentives" broadly refers to financial incentives put in place by solar companies and the government to encourage the adoption and use renewable energy by making the installation and use of solar panels more affordable. Incentives may include things like discounts, cash back or credit on your utility bill each month. Some incentives are offered by the federal government, while others are provided by the Louisiana government or your specific utility company, county or municipality. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions are effective at the point of sale for your solar panels. Property tax exemptions let you ignore the value that your solar panels add when you calculate the amount of property tax you need to pay.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in how much in taxes you owe the government.
- Rebates: Your solar installer might help you claim a rebate, or partial refund after purchase, for your solar system. States or counties will also offer limited-time rebates at various times. The value of a rebate will usually be deducted from your total price before tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get after your solar system is up and running. If you have a net metering agreement in place with your Plaquemine utility company, they will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your monthly utility bill. In some places, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in others you might receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal incentives are the type of incentives that you are most likely to have some knowledge of. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is likely the most well-known federal solar incentive. The ITC offers a tax credit for a predetermined percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC applies towards solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and allows you to deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, accessories, equipment and labor. You can claim this credit for a solar panel system installed on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. The original claim amount was 30% of the total cost, although depending on when the project was completed, your credit may range from 26-30%. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
To understand exactly how much money the ITC could save you, contact your local Plaquemine solar panel installer.
In August 2022, the ITC (now titled the Clean Energy Credit) was expanded and extended by the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act. Now, solar installation projects that are completed between 2022 and 2032 can qualify for a 30% tax credit. This percentage will then see a slight annual decrease until the current Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. The expansion also makes credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim, beginning in 2023.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. The best way to learn more about how the new Clean Energy Credit might apply to you is to get in touch with your local Plaquemine solar panel installation expert.
State & Local Solar Incentives
In addition to those provided at the federal level, there are often also state solar incentives. Rebates, tax credits and more may be available at a more local level. The incentives — which might be provided by the state of Louisiana, or by your county or municipality — may be offered for only a limited time, or on an ongoing basis.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Plaquemine
The nationwide use of solar energy has gone up tremendously in the past 15 years, in part due to the proliferation of solar incentives. You may get these incentives from the Louisiana government, the federal government or your local utility company. Your local Plaquemine solar panel installation company can help you learn more about which incentives you should apply for, and get you started on the path to switching to renewable energy today.
EcoWatch's Plaquemine, LA Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.