2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Gretna, LA - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Gretna.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Gretna solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
By EcoWatch Local Advisors
Data Analysis: James Savino
Ranking Methodology: Karsten Neumeister
Updated March 14, 2023
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Gretna?
Solar Energy System Exemption
Home Energy Loan Program (HELP)
New Orleans City - Energy Smart Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The phrase "solar incentives" covers a range of financial incentives implemented to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. Solar incentives can include upfront discounts, cash back or credit towards your monthly utility bill. Some incentives are offered by the federal government, some by the Louisiana government and some by your utility company, county or municipality. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Tax Credits: Different from tax deductions, tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the government.
- Rebates: Solar rebates can be provided by your local utility company, or by your county or state. These rebates are essentially cash back that is applied after you purchase solar panels and before tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions may come in one of two forms. The first is sales tax exemption, applied at the time you purchase your solar panels. The second is property tax exemption. This allows you to exclude the added value of your solar system when calculating property tax for your house.
- Net Metering: Net metering factors in after your solar panels are up and running. If you have a net metering agreement with your Gretna utility company, it will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your utility bill each month. In some areas, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in other places you might get refunded a percentage of the value.
Federal Solar Incentives
When thinking about solar incentives, you likely think of federal incentives first. You might have heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. This is a tax credit equal to a certain percentage of the money you spend on solar panels for your home.
The ITC applies to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. The credit initially covered 30% of the total cost — for panels, labor, equipment and accessories — although it may range from 26-30%, depending on when your solar system was installed. There is no cap on the amount you can claim.
To more fully understand how the ITC might apply to your situation, speak to your local Gretna solar panel installation expert and ask for more information.
In August 2022, the Inflation Reduction Act made revisions to the ITC, now dubbed the Clean Energy Credit. Now, solar installation projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed by the end of 2032 may be eligible for a 30% tax credit. The amount of the credit will then see a slight annual decrease until the end of the current Clean Energy Credit in 2035. The program expansion also makes claiming credit for energy storage systems easier than ever before, beginning in 2023.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. The easiest way to fully understand how the new Clean Energy Credit applies to you is to reach out to your local Gretna solar panel company with your questions.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Tax credits, rebates and more might be provided at multiple levels. On top of federal solar incentives, there are often state and local ones as well. Incentives might be provided by the state of Louisiana, or by your county or municipality. Certain incentives may be available for only a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Gretna
Solar incentives might be offered by the Louisiana government, the federal government or your local utility company. The growing number of available solar incentives has facilitated the nationwide growth of solar energy use in the last 15 years. Your local Gretna solar panel installation company can help you learn more about which incentives you may qualify for, and get you on track to switch to renewable energy today.
- Price-match guarantee
- Sleek, efficient, and durable solar panels
- Best solar battery on the market
- Some reported issues with customer service
- Customer service varies by local dealer
Best Warranty Coverage
- Industry-leading warranty coverage
- Expansive service area
- Some reported communication issues
- No leases or PPAs
EcoWatch's Gretna, LA Solar Incentives FAQs
What if I am planning to add a solar system to a rental property, vacation home or commercial property? Can I still qualify for incentives?
Many solar incentives apply to a property located within the United States that you own; most secondary residences fall under this distinction. Other solar incentives may be available for commercial properties, depending on the specifics. We recommend speaking with your local solar installer and/or tax professional to best understand what incentives will apply to your specific situation.
How do I learn if I qualify for specific solar incentives?
Broadly, solar incentives apply to:
- a new solar panel system
- installed on a property that you own
- within the U.S.
- within the date range specified by a particular incentive.
Specific incentives, including ones handled by the Louisiana government or by your county/municipality, could have additional qualifications. Get in touch with your local Gretna solar installer to discover what incentives your project will qualify for.
How much can I save annually on my electric bill if I add solar panels to my house in Gretna?
Generally, homeowners in Gretna who install solar panels save about $904.04 per year, or about $17,176.85 over 20 years after making the switch.
What are the top solar panel installation companies near me?
To find the right solar panel installer for you, check out our guide to Gretna's top solar panel companies.
I want to switch my appliances out for ones that are more energy-efficient. Are there any credits I can apply for?
The new Inflation Reduction Act creates a number of new financial incentives to encourage you to make eco-friendly improvements to your home. More details about these incentives, including information about incentives for purchasing new appliances, can be found here.
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.
Solar incentive research was conducted by Melissa Smith and Karsten Neumeister. Local data analysis was conducted by James Savino. See something we missed or could do better? Email the editor.