2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Estelle, LA - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Estelle.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Estelle solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
By EcoWatch Local Advisors
Data Analysis: James Savino
Ranking Methodology: Karsten Neumeister
Updated March 14, 2023
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Estelle?
Solar Energy System Exemption
Home Energy Loan Program (HELP)
New Orleans City - Energy Smart Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The term "solar incentives" includes a range of financial incentives put in place to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. You may qualify for several types of incentives, including cash back, discounts or monthly utility bill credits, depending on your situation. Certain incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the Louisiana government and others from the federal government. Categories of solar incentives include:
- Tax Credits: Different from tax deductions, tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the government.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions can come in one of two forms. First, there is sales tax exemption, applied at the time you purchase your solar panels. The second is property tax exemption. This allows you to ignore the added value of your solar system when calculating property tax for your home.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get after your solar panels are up and running. If you have a net metering agreement with your Estelle utility company, the company will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your utility bill each month. In some places, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in others you might be refunded a percentage of the value.
- Rebates: Your solar installer might help you claim a rebate, or partial refund after purchase, for your solar panels. States or counties will also sometimes offer limited-time rebates. Any rebates you receive will usually be deducted from the total price before any tax credits are calculated.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are likely the first thing that you think of when you think about solar incentives. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is likely the most well-known federal solar incentive. The ITC allows you to claim a tax credit for a set percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC can be applied to a solar system installed on your primary or secondary residence in the United States. The solar panels have to have been installed after January 1, 2006 on a property owned by you for you to claim the credit. Originally, the ITC covered 30% of all system installation costs (panels, accessories, labor and equipment), although the total amount has fluctuated over time between 26-30%. The amount you qualify for will depend on when your solar system was installed. There is no cap on the amount you can claim.
Contacting your local Estelle solar panel installer is the best way to learn more about how the ITC may apply to you.
The ITC has been renewed and expanded following the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act in August 2022. It's also now called the Clean Energy Credit. The Clean Energy Credit runs until 2035. Any solar installation project that is completed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032 may qualify for a 30% tax credit. This amount will decrease slightly on a yearly basis until the current program ends. Starting in 2023, it will also be easier to qualify for credits for energy storage systems with the new act.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Estelle solar panel installation expert is the best person to answer your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it may apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
There are more than just federal solar incentives; tax credits, rebates and more may be offered at the state and local level. Some incentives are ongoing, while others are offered for only a limited time. Your local incentives could come from the Louisiana government, or from your specific county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Estelle
You can apply for solar incentives from the federal government and the Louisiana government, as well as from your local utility company. The growing availability of solar initiatives in the past 15 years has helped increase solar adoption nationwide. Your local Estelle solar panel installation company can provide you with more details about which incentives you should apply for, and get you on track to switch to renewable energy today.
- Price-match guarantee
- Sleek, efficient, and durable solar panels
- Best solar battery on the market
- Some reported issues with customer service
- Customer service varies by local dealer
Best Warranty Coverage
- Industry-leading warranty coverage
- Expansive service area
- Some reported communication issues
- No leases or PPAs
EcoWatch's Estelle, LA Solar Incentives FAQs
How can I learn if I qualify for certain solar incentives?
It's best to speak with your local Estelle solar installer to get an understanding of which incentives your project may qualify for. Usually, solar incentives apply to new solar systems installed on a property you own (in the U.S.) between the dates specified by the incentive. Some incentives, like those offered by the government of Louisiana, might have other requirements.
What are the best solar panel installation companies near me?
To find the best solar panel installer in your area, check out our guide to Estelle's top solar panel companies.
What are some environmental benefits of adding solar panels to my home?
Solar energy is a renewable energy source — by changing where you get your energy, you can help reduce the strain on our planet's resources. Solar panels can also reduce your home's CO2 emissions by 400 pounds annually, or around 8,000 pounds over 20 years.
Can I apply for incentives both towards the initial cost of solar panels, and later as reimbursement?
The order in which incentives are applied may vary depending on which incentives you are claiming but in most cases yes, you can receive multiple types of incentives for your solar project. Check with your solar installer or a local tax professional to make sure you are claiming all of the incentives you qualify for and applying them in the correct order.
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.
Solar incentive research was conducted by Melissa Smith and Karsten Neumeister. Local data analysis was conducted by James Savino. See something we missed or could do better? Email the editor.