2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Belle Chasse, LA - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Belle Chasse.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Belle Chasse solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Belle Chasse?
Solar Energy System Exemption
Home Energy Loan Program (HELP)
New Orleans City - Energy Smart Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are intended to make renewable energy usage more affordable via financial incentives for individuals who install solar panels on their homes. These incentives could include cash back, upfront discounts or monthly credits towards your utility bill. Some incentives are provided by the federal government, some by the state of Louisiana and some by your utility company, county or municipality. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Rebates: Your solar installer might help you claim a rebate, or partial refund of your purchase, for your solar system. States or counties will also offer limited-time rebates at various times. If you receive a rebate, that amount will usually come off your total price before any tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: You can sign a net metering contract with your Belle Chasse utility company, that may apply to all or a percentage of the excess electricity your solar panels generate. Your utility company will then deduct this value from your monthly utility bill.
- Tax Credits: These credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in how much in taxes you owe the federal government.
- Tax Exemptions: These could come in the form of property tax exemptions, which let you exclude the value added by your solar panels when paying taxes on your house. You could also look for exemptions on sales tax at the time of purchase.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal incentives are the type of incentives that you are most likely to have heard of. One of the incentives many people are probably familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC). This is a tax credit for a given percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC can be applied to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and under this program you can deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, accessories, labor and equipment. This credit can apply towards a solar panel system installed on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. The original amount you could claim was 30% of the total cost, although certain projects may qualify for only 26%, depending on the details. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
To better understand exactly how much money the ITC could save you, get in touch with your local Belle Chasse solar panel installation expert.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, added more provisions to the ITC (as well as renaming it to the Clean Energy Credit). With the new provisions, solar installation projects begun after January 1, 2022 and finished by December 31, 2032 can qualify for a 30% tax credit. This credit amount will then decrease slightly each year until the current Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. Starting in 2023, it will also be easier to obtain credits for energy storage systems under this new program.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Belle Chasse solar panel installers are the best people to answer your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it will apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives may be provided by state and local governments. Like with federal incentives, these could include tax credits, rebates and more. These incentives might be offered by the Louisiana government, or by your county or municipality. Some are ongoing, while others are available for a limited time.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Belle Chasse
The nationwide use of solar energy has gone up tremendously in the last 15 years, in part thanks to the increase in availability of solar incentives. You can obtain these incentives from the Louisiana government, the federal government or your local utility company. If you're prepared to switch over to solar energy, talking to your local Belle Chasse solar panel installation expert is a great first step.
EcoWatch's Belle Chasse, LA Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.